AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have an lg 47lh90 in the living room and have been tvless in the bedroom for over a year now, I just can't take it anymore. if you had to choose a new tv for the bedroom (mostly hdtv, 10 ft away, 1500 budget)- would you go bigger and maybe lower quality or smaller and great picture? is there a specific set anyone would recommend to replace my lg in the living room and put it in the bedroom? I'm really torn and hoping you all can help me make the right decision the first time. I really hate taking stuff back...

thanks for looking.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bedrooms are usually quite easy to control light in. That being said in a light controlled room a plasma set is going to give you a much much better picture. Unless you are one of the 5% of the total population that can somehow see plasma flicker and phosphor trails you should get a plasma.

At 10 feet 50 inch is enough but you could get away with 58 inches. For your budget you could either get a pn58c6500 thats if you want the larger 58 inch size or you could go with the higher feature packed pn50c8000 which has very good working 3d and one of the best AR filters on a plasma if not the best.

If it were up to me I'd probably just get the 50 inch c6500 series because 50 inches is usually more then enough for the bedroom and 3d doesnt interest me and the price on the c6500 is a steal.

If the light is easily controlled in your room do yourself a big favor and just get a 50 inch plasma for well under your 1500 dollar budget and use the extra cash for a ps3, or some surround speakers. Even if your bedroom is medium bright the c8000 has a very good AR filter.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_logitech
so I have an lg 47lh90 in the living room and have been tvless in the bedroom for over a year now, I just can't take it anymore. if you had to choose a new tv for the bedroom (mostly hdtv, 10 ft away, 1500 budget)- would you go bigger and maybe lower quality or smaller and great picture? is there a specific set anyone would recommend to replace my lg in the living room and put it in the bedroom? I'm really torn and hoping you all can help me make the right decision the first time. I really hate taking stuff back...

thanks for looking.
Hello Chris:

Lot's of possibilities, depending on your bedroom size, if your bedroom is large enough, I've read a popular size bedroom tv is 40", but everyone's tastes are different, my current home was built in 1960, bedrooms are smaller to todays standard sizes, and a 32 or 37 would work just fine with smaller rooms.

As to recommend to use your current tv or buy another just for the BR, it's personal tastes, I feel that I would not buy the best set for the BR since I spend most of my movie time in front of my entertainment system, it's nice to have a tv in the BR for watching news, and or for little basic viewing, so I like the LG led-lcd tv's for their matte screens, also looked at Vizio's 37" current led-lcd, and the Panasonic's are very nice as well, it all matters on your tastes, you like a nice set in the BR, go with it, or save some money and get only what you need, you will get such a diverse amount of suggestions on here, you have to look at what you think would look good..

·
Registered
164 Posts
For me personally, having technology creep into every aspect of the home is almost an overkill and can probably induce sleeplessness and really take you away from the purpose of the room itself, for a calm getaway and peaceful sleep. I'd never consider throwing an LCD/Plasma in the BR unless I have zero room in the rest of the house that is, or if it's open concept (such as a condo/loft).

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyorsammy /forum/post/19538765

For me personally, having technology creep into every aspect of the home is almost an overkill and can probably induce sleeplessness and really take you away from the purpose of the room itself, for a calm getaway and peaceful sleep. I'd never consider throwing an LCD/Plasma in the BR unless I have zero room in the rest of the house that is, or if it's open concept (such as a condo/loft).

Well, it certainly is a good thing that not all of us think alike. We have four TV's in the house, including the master bedroom and one of the spare bedrooms. My wife and I have different tastes in what to watch, so we rarely watch the same program together unless it's a movie we both agree on.

I do most of my TV watching in the bedroom or the sunroom and she likes her recliner in the living room.

That being said, the choice of a bedroom TV is a matter of personal preference and how much time you will actually be watching a TV in there. From 10' away, I'd say a 46" would be a perfect size for most of us. And, for the budget you have in mind there are many good possibilities. Since this is the LCD Forum, I will not recommend the dying technology of plasma television. However, that's the subject of another thread which we won't get into here.

Suffice it to say, you could go with a CCFL LCD such as the Sony EX500 or the Samsung C630 or an LED LCD such as the Samsung C6300 or the LG LE5300/5400. I would certainly recommend auditioning various panels in a store before making your final decision. There may be others that catch your eye as well.

Have fun TV shopping. There should be some good deals at this time of year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've noticed plasma seems to generally be cheaper these days and haven't looked much into them based on the notion that there may be a reason they are cheaper, but maybe I'll take another look...thanks for the opinions, keep em coming

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.