AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
40" Samsung, TV model and commercial model.

40" NEC/Mitsubishi, commercial model only (no DVI/HDCP).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you seen the new Hitachi 50v500 and 60v500? They are 50 and 60 inch LCD HDTV, available at CC and Ultimate.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gtjia
Have you seen the new Hitachi 50v500 and 60v500? They are 50 and 60 inch LCD HDTV, available at CC and Ultimate.
These are RPTV's, not flat panel LCD's.

elvis

·
Registered
40 Posts
LG/Philips is supposed to have a 42" and 46" by the end of the year. There is also supposed to be a 52" and 54" around the 04/04 to 06/04 mark.

The NEC 40" does have DVI but it is the not HDCP.

There is also 2 40" models by Clarity.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just saw in today's paper that Samsung is showing a 54" TFT-LCD at the CeBit Asia show. They're claiming its the world's largest. :eek:

Of course that's not available now but I thought it was interesting info. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
I just saw in today's paper that Samsung is showing a 54" TFT-LCD at the CeBit Asia show.
Samsung has been showing that glass to manufacturers for about 6 months now. I would expect production to begin on usable displays late Q1 '04 or early Q2 '04.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dear Mr. Sonic Death Monkey,

When you do expect LCD panel response times to reach a speed where motion lag on LCD is no longer noticeable? Having recently seen the new Mitsubishi 3020, I was very impressed at the way the off angle viewing problem had been pretty much solved on that LCD. The blacks were also quite nice, without the usual blue tint on other LCD's I have seen. But I was a bit bummed over the still apparent motion lag...it was quite noticeable on sports, moving water scenes, etc. Any ideas on when this gets fixed? This plus the lack of bigger panels at reasonable prices (as yet) are all that keep LCD from being a very viable alternative to plasma in the current market, IMO. I am rooting for both...may the best technology win.

BTW, thanks for your informative posts and this great thread.

Sonic Death Monkey vs Rogo....sounds like a Japanese monster flick.

elvis

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
the still apparent motion lag...it was quite noticeable on sports, moving water scenes, etc. Any ideas on when this gets fixed?
There are several technologies out there that already "fix" the problems that you described. Sharp has panels out now that are at 16ms and 12ms that are starting to hit the market. The problem is they need to recoup the cost of the R&D so it is desktop and smaller TVs that get the good stuff first. There is also a technolog called "Feed Forward" that was developed by Mitsubishi that greatly decreased the mid-tone to mid-tone response times, and that is the primary cause of smearing or ghosting. Both of those technologies are ready now and are shipping in Japan.

Quote:
This plus the lack of bigger panels at reasonable prices (as yet) are all that keep LCD from being a very viable alternative to plasma in the current market
Reasonable is only an opinion unfortunately. There are people out there that would pay $5k for a 40" LCD display for all of the reasons LCDs are better than plasma. And it if you compare the price if a hi-res plasma in the same size the cost difference is even smaller. This is not to say one technology is better than other it is just that one is more mature in the market place than the other. The market trends I have seen show plasma and LCD having price parity in 18 to 24 months and LCDs going below plasma in 24 to 30 months. This is the raw panel cost mind you. LCDs are much more expensive in the consumer market because they can be. Early adapters buy up the new stuff and that allows the manufacturers to recoup the R&D cost. That said I suspect to see a sub $2k 40-42" LCD TV with in 24 months.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you could build a display based on the concept of setting a pixel at a certain value and holding it for the duration of the frame, instantaneously changing the pixel to the proper value for the next frame, then motion smear will result. The remedy would be to strobe the pixels, which would be trivial for a display that had instantaneous response.

An LCD panel with very short response time approximates what I've described above. Strobing the backlight would match the idea of strobing the pixels.

This was discussed on the OpenDTV mailing list. The list archive is accessible to people who have signed up to the mailing list, but anyone can sign up. This link points to one of the good posts.
http://topica.com/lists/openDTV/read...=d&start=38626

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Evlis, interesting you think the Mitsubishi is not blue-black. I think it's very blue-black, but I much preferrred that look to the green-black of, say, the Sharp 30".

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Evlis, interesting you think the Mitsubishi is not blue-black. I think it's very blue-black, but I much preferrred that look to the green-black of, say, the Sharp 30".

I should have phrased that not as blue-black...still a hint of blue and maybe a fuchsia thing goin. No wait, that's my wifes idea for a new sofa. Never mind...you're right...it was still a bit blue-black. But not as blue-black as some I've seen.

elvis

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm ready to see the new samsung 40. If they can build a computer lcd monitor without the blue/black black, one would think they could build a tv without it as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.