AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the biggest mast I can use with a chimney mount? I have a large UHF/VHF combo antenna with a rotor and preamp.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tron
What is the biggest mast I can use with a chimney mount? I have a large UHF/VHF combo antenna with a rotor and preamp.
I assume you mean length, not diameter. In general, if you have a masonry (brick/stone) chimney, no mast is "safe." These building materials are not designed to handle the twisting torque wind places on the antenna. If you have a siding/wood chimney, there is no theoretical limit as the forces change based on antenna size, height and wind properties at your location.

That said, it would be wise to use guy wires to support the antenna. I have a chimney mount and found it to be somewhat unstable by itself. However, with three guy wires, it is rock steady.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would use guy wires. Channel Master and others sell 30' and 40' telescoping masts. I was wondering if anybody has used a mast this long on a chimney mount.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would definitely use the Channel Master kit that has the metal straps. I bought two of them and used 3 straps (there are 2 in a kit). I have 2 - 6' masts connected by a rotor. The install seems pretty solid but I am using a UHF only YAGI. Combination Antennas are more heavy and susceptible to wind due to the long VHF elements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.