AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act of 2003 has been introduced to the House Judiciar committe. If your Representative is a member of the committee (see the list below) please contact them and ask them to vote for this bill.

The legislation would add the following to the DMCA:

"It shall not be a violation of this title to manufacture, distribute, or make noninfringing use of a hardware or software product capable of enabling significant noninfringing use of a copyrighted work."

I read this to mean that there could be equipment to circumvent copy protection which could be used for personal time-shifting or archiving of digital content.

-phil

MR. F. JAMES SENSENBRENNER, JR (WISCONSIN), CHAIRMAN

Mr. Hyde (Illinois)

Mr. Coble (North Carolina)

Mr. Smith (Texas)

Mr. Gallegly (California)

Mr. Goodlatte (Virginia)

Mr. Chabot (Ohio)

Mr. Jenkins (Tennessee)

Mr. Cannon (Utah)

Mr. Bachus (Alabama)

Mr. Hostettler (Indiana)

Mr. Green (Wisconsin)

Mr. Keller (Florida)

Ms. Hart_ (Pennsylvania)

Mr. Flake (Arizona)

Mr. Pence (Indiana)

Mr. Forbes (Virginia)

Mr. King (Iowa)

Mr. Carter (Texas)

Mr. Feeney (Florida)

Mrs. Blackburn (Tennessee)

Mr. Conyers (Michigan) Ranking

Mr. Berman (California)

Mr. Boucher (Virginia)

Mr. Nadler (New York)

Mr. Scott (Virginia)

Mr. Watt (North Carolina)

Ms. Lofgren (California)

Ms. Jackson Lee (Texas)

Ms. Waters (California)

Mr. Meehan (Massachusetts)

Mr. Delahunt (Massachusetts)

Mr. Wexler (Florida)

Ms. Baldwin (Wisconsin)

Mr. Weiner (New York)

Mr. Schiff (California)

Ms. Sanchez (California)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Bravo bravo bravo.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Better yet why don't we ask them not to pass the DMCA at all, since it seems to be another step towards taking control of digital media from the consumer.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JBlacklow
Better yet why don't we ask them not to pass the DMCA at all, since it seems to be another step towards taking control of digital media from the consumer.
Because the DMCA is already law since 1998.

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/legislation/dmca.pdf

Do a google search on "DMCA" or "Digital Millenium Copyright Act" for tons of information.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Insert "amendement" after DMCA from my post. These are the same people who are in support of HDCP.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I know we are geeks and all, but...

Please, if you care about the legislative process (and you should, since more and more of your rights are being sold to the highest corporate bidders), you need to PHONE and WRITE (as in paper) to your representatives. Sure, emails are okay, but emails DO NOT WORK.

If you want your voices to be heard, you need to contact your representatives directly. That is why whenever there NRA want something passed, they get their constituents on the phone AND pay personal visit to their reps.

I know it is against our grain to go out and touch someone, but for your rightsakes, make the effort.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Well I have to say that in some cases emails do in fact work! I emailed my rep last year about my disliking of the Dish/DirecTV merger, and not only did my rep read the email, he wrote me back a letter (snail-mail).

Given the mail sorting/checking procedures now in place after the Anthrax scares, I think email and phone calls are much faster, and wont get delayed. But thats just my opinion with regards to my rep. YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.