AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the Billboard Music Awards on Fox tonight are in widescreen. Is this possibly the first event-type program (excluding sports) to be seen in widescreen on any network? I can't recall any others right now. I'm pretty sure that no other awards program has been seen in widescreen.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
yeah it's in widescreen, but doesn't look all that special. I can't stomach all these awards shows...too boring. I'd rather watch Boston Public...or Taken is on Sci Fi channel--pretty good so far...although not HD..oh well...

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Well saying it was 16:9 is stretching it a bit. It was nice to see FOX having all those fancy side screens instead of black bars, but that show was 4:3.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm confused... I just caught the end of it (the JMJ tribute with Aerosmith) and it looked like Faux widescreen to me. I didn't see any fancy sidebars.

David

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I watched some of this for a while and after some of the intro stuff it was full widescreen with the "floating" logo positioned for the 4:3 screen. I'm not sure if it is some thing our local affiliate isn't doing correctly but just like

with the video based football games we got some severe strobing effects from movement here in PDX. And it wasn't even just from brightly colored objects like I've seen on the games either. I tuned back in later and while watching a bit it seemed to clear up somewhat suddenly like someone may have changed some settings or something. Others in Portland have seen this too. Is anybody else seeing this from other affiliates around the country?

ron

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
In Denver they had that strobing effect awhile back when they were having issues.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
In Denver they had that strobing effect awhile back when they were having issues.
And in Detroit too. It comes and goes, my guess is either from the network or some unusual incompatibility in equipment at the affiliate end.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
...seems nothing more than the 4:3 image centered and filler material/graphics for the sides.

It's blatantly obvious during Fox's NFL sunday pregame.

They center James Brown and Terry Bradshaw and on the sides is BS background material.

CBS does the samething with Eberbody Love Raymond, the actors are centered in the 4:3 and the sides are background living room crap.

I guess that's would expain why todays 16:9 material seems distant.???

Look forwad to the day the majority of TVs are 16:9 and the cameras actually shoot it for 16:9 displays, not 4:3 +BS side material.!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
It wasn't widescreen where I live (Utah). It was the same old 4:3 material s..t...r...e...t...c...h...e...d to widescreen which looked pretty bad.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
And in Detroit too. It comes and goes, my guess is either from the network or some unusual incompatibility in equipment at the affiliate end.
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure our affiliate got one of the new Fox issued receiver/deinterlacer boxes just about this time last year when the network was distributing them out. Strange problem whatever it is.

ron

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Here in NC, WRAZ-DT 50(49.1 out of Raleigh) showed it in widescreen. But only the live auditorium shots and Creeds live performance atop of some skyscraper. All the video clips were 4:3 with colorfull sidebars since obviously most videos are done in 4:3 format. Can't say the image quality of the live widescreen portions looked that great though. LOL heck the comercials looked sharper and crisper.(WRAZ-DT 50 upconverts all Fox national feeds and local programing to 1080i).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.