AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arguably the greatest film of all time, Billy Jack comes to Blu-ray this September. Credited for inspiring the Dirty Harry series, Rambo, and restoring peace to Native Americans, Billy Jack is perhaps the most influential movie of the last century.

Discuss.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
When this came out I was 13 and I thought it was the best movie I ever seen.Great action 'Hippies'cool music'.Seeing it later in life one see's its weakness but I still have great memories when this came out.I will get it for sure.Favorite seen is the Ice cream shop where the jerk dumps flour all over the littel girl face and Billy Jack takes him out.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra /forum/post/17044193

Arguably the greatest film of all time, Billy Jack comes to Blu-ray this September. Credited for inspiring the Dirty Harry series, Rambo, and restoring peace to Native Americans, Billy Jack is perhaps the most influential movie of the last century.

Discuss.

The only word there that I agree with is the first one.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
A revolutionary film in how it was marketed, it highlighted the very real on-screen charisma of Laughlin and the absolutely awful acting of his wife.

I do think it is iconic in many ways. The ice cream shop scene is brilliant in its setup and execution.

The movie's runaway success unleashed Tom's hubris which, like a true Greek tragedy, led to his demise.

I will purchase it on day one. I have three different 480i versions...gotta have the BD.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Sat down and watched the BD earlier this evening. I own three 480 copies. The sharp PQ but 4:3 Indian release, the mushy soft box 4:3 release and the 16:9 remastered release.

The BD would make the DNR haters very very happy. After you get passed the wild Mustang hunt intro, the PQ is more than I could have hoped for. Lots of detail, grain and not a hint of noise reduction. This is not a slick "Transformers PQ" type BD release but a terrific, organic late 60's film stock release.

Most of the shots are framed close and the detail in Laughlin's face/clothing is excellent along with the other actors. This is not perfect PQ but if you are a lover of the "film" look and like the movie this is a must buy.

The two audio commentary tracks are worthy of a listen.

Tom Laughlin did himself in (pure hubris) but I still think this little movie is a cult/indy classic.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Without Billy Jack, Steven Seagal and Jean-Claude Van Damme would not have been credible in a chop-socky film, nor would Chuck Norris have had his TV series. The genre would have belonged to Bruce Lee and other Asian stars.

In terms of the film itself, I remember that production values were very low and some of the acting was really terrible. I have never actually been able to sit through this film again in it's entirety, although I like some of the scenes.

But even in it's original theatrical run, I found this film disappointing. I think I was looking for another Tell Them Willie Boy is Here, which had just impressed me much more than this film ever did.

I think the film got it's reputation mainly because it earned about 80X the money it took to make, which is about the only thing that earns an Indie film respect in Hollywood.

Lest you forget, Billy Jack is actually the sequel to The Born Losers (1967) and had two inferior sequels itself. The character of Billy Jack was just about Tom Laughlin's only starring role, be was pretty much a bit part player.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/17313014

Without Billy Jack, Steven Seagal and Jean-Claude Van Damme would not have been credible in a chop-socky film, nor would Chuck Norris have had his TV series. The genre would have belonged to Bruce Lee and other Asian stars.

In terms of the film itself, I remember that production values were very low and some of the acting was really terrible. I have never actually been able to sit through this film again in it's entirety, although I like some of the scenes.

But even in it's original theatrical run, I found this film disappointing. I think I was looking for another Tell Them Willie Boy is Here, which had just impressed me much more than this film ever did.

I think the film got it's reputation mainly because it earned about 80X the money it took to make, which is about the only thing that earns an Indie film respect in Hollywood.

Lest you forget, Billy Jack is actually the sequel to The Born Losers (1967) and had two inferior sequels itself. The character of Billy Jack was just about Tom Laughlin's only starring role, be was pretty much a bit part player.

Gary,

Laughlin's wife's acting is perhaps the worse ever put to film. Howard Hessman's bit is a hoot in a 60's hippy culture sort of way.

I thought and still think Laughlin had real charisma in this film. The indie/low budget feel added to the whole vibe of the film.

He made a ton of money on it, and it changed the way films are marketed. The Trial of Billy Jack also made money but was way over the top preachy. The ending was a precursor of the Waco siege and too violent.

Billy Jack Goes To Washington drained their bank accounts and was awful.

Laughlin turned to Jungian psychology and became a minor player in that arena. A cursory read of his website reveals that the Laughlin's are still kooky after all these years.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Watched this maybe ten years ago and wanted to slit my wrists when I wasn't laughing out loud. Just a complete dated mess of a POS movie. So dated that it's shocking. My jaw was wide open half the time.

I'll take WALKING TALL over this one any day of the week. My opinion only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.