AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know it's not multi channel, but it is surround sound. Anyway two quick questions:

1. Any hi-rez binaural recordings in existence?

2. Specifically I saw that the recording by Roger Waters "as performed by Pink Floyd" The Final Cut was recorded in Binaural. Anyone know if this is the regular redbook cd or a special edition, or something else?

edit:

Okay after reading a bit more, it is the redbook cd and some of the effects were created using "holophonic" recording techniques, the album is not truly binaural.

What brings this up is that I was amused to see this "Favorite Intermissions" cd and noticed that it was recorded in binaural, and that it turn reminded me of the fun I had as a kid playing around with a pair of binaural mic'ed headphones. BTW the Intermissions cd is real, and yes, it is actually recordings of intermissions.

And now I look 5 topics down and see the BINAURAL/HYBRID SACD Glenn Gould/Zenph release. Okay, anyone got any others?

---time passes--

And I just found the berlioz Symphony Fantastique and Strauss, Saint-Saëns / Mester, Olivera, Pasadena Symphony CD . Any others? Edit: Whoops! Only the berlioz is SACD.

I know I'm dreaming, but an ambient electronica ( hard enough to find in Hi-res) album recorded in binaural would be awesome. Or maybe some LadySmithBlackMambazo...

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is a coincidence. I did some digging on binaural recordings just yesterday because I heard Radiohead were going to use the technique on their new album. Huh. (Maybe Radiohead is electronic enough for you?)

I'm afraid I don't have any other recommendations since this was the first time I even heard about binaural. But it explains that totally cool sound effect CD I had when I was a kid, where you could hear a pack of matches being shaken and it went ALL AROUND YOUR HEAD. I never understood until now.

Like I said, I have little to no experience with this kind of stuff, but I'm wondering, can binaural recordings be as good as real multichannel? I know it's limited to headphones, but other than that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that's easy enough. There are plenty of binaural demo recordings on the internet. Put on your headphones and go here . Listen with your eyes closed. The effect can be rather startling, particularly if you've never heard it.

In my opinion, binaural offers some advantages unique to the method. A good binaural recording will allow you to precisely locate the depth and position of a sound source. I have often wondered why pc games do not offer binaural soundtracks because they are superior to multichannel mixes, if you are willing to accept the limiting condition of wearing headphones. I imagine being able to locate sniper fire in a fps with surgical accuracy. I realize that this is a subject fraught with contention, and the opinions expressed are merely my own.

Here is a dissenting view from the editor of Stereophile which I have excerpted below:

"Hrvoje Hrvokic ("Binaural Heard From," June '94, p.23) wondered why I didn't mention binaural sound. Because it has one serious flaw that I feel is fatal: It doesn't do frontal imaging. Yes, it reproduces space magnificently and gives marvelous imaging of sounds to the sides and all the way around the rear quadrant; but most listeners hear front-located sources as being inside their heads, not in frontal space. Binaural can sound impressively realistic...until you compare it with discrete surround."

There is an awful dearth of binaural material, apparently. Lots of sound effects and demo discs but for recorded music? not so much. I am pleased to hear about the radiohead cd.

Maybe I should go listen to "the final cut" again with headphones.. List time I did that was 1987 or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts