AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Why does Ryan basically kill himself?

I have just passed that point, so don't tell me if it is revealed later

·
Registered
688 Posts
My understanding is that Ryan fully believed when he gave him the club that he would be able to control himself. Ryan's life was dedicated to the idea that a man could create and control his own destiny. I think he truly did not believe that his 'son' wouldn't be able to control his own actions.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I had a different interpretation.

He couldn't kill his own son, and saw his dream of Rapture was dead. He then decided to die on his own terms.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I agree with your interpetation, but didn't his death also free you of the compulsion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc /forum/post/14335301

I had a different interpretation.

He couldn't kill his own son, and saw his dream of Rapture was dead. He then decided to die on his own terms.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Ryan is an ever-present voice while Jack travels through Rapture. Although Frank Fontaine set Jack on his journey to kill Ryan using the would you kindly trigger phrase, Ryan knew exactly what was occurring.

When he laid eyes on Jack however, he instantly recognized him as the son he might have had with Jasmine Jolene, had she not sold him before he was born. His own flesh and blood, reduced to a puppet, was the ultimate insult this world could have given him.

Looking at his life and his works, now all in ruin - by his own hand as much as his enemies' - he decided to die as he had lived: on his own terms. With the trigger phrase, he could have controlled Jack as Atlas did, directed him against his enemy. Instead, he forced Jack to kill him with his golf club, all the time screaming what he considered the most important message he had:

"A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!". Jack beats him a few times with the golf club before finaly jamming it in the side of Ryans head, killing him.

The player will discover that Ryan had made the decision to turn off the local Vita-Chamber to prevent the device from resurrecting him - a false death would not have driven the message home as potently.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS10L /forum/post/14336829

Ryan is an ever-present voice while Jack travels through Rapture. Although Frank Fontaine set Jack on his journey to kill Ryan using the would you kindly trigger phrase, Ryan knew exactly what was occurring.

When he laid eyes on Jack however, he instantly recognized him as the son he might have had with Jasmine Jolene, had she not sold him before he was born. His own flesh and blood, reduced to a puppet, was the ultimate insult this world could have given him.

Looking at his life and his works, now all in ruin - by his own hand as much as his enemies' - he decided to die as he had lived: on his own terms. With the trigger phrase, he could have controlled Jack as Atlas did, directed him against his enemy. Instead, he forced Jack to kill him with his golf club, all the time screaming what he considered the most important message he had:

"A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!". Jack beats him a few times with the golf club before finaly jamming it in the side of Ryans head, killing him.

The player will discover that Ryan had made the decision to turn off the local Vita-Chamber to prevent the device from resurrecting him - a false death would not have driven the message home as potently.

Thanks, good info

·
Registered
668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx /forum/post/14337818

Thanks, good info

+1. TONS of good info. Now I have to play the game again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts