AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a pioneer elite 21 receiver driving two older surrounds that will be replaced soon, my fronts will be the def tech BP series (either 7006 or 7004) and the center is a DT procinema1000. For the rears im looking into the BP series.

My question is should i use the existing older surrounds as the rear surrounds, and place the bipole's on the sides, or does that risk some cancellation or other issues. Alot of what ive read people prefer to stick with the 5.1 as opposed to going to a 7.1

Thanks

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strecker25 /forum/post/18233900

I currently have a pioneer elite 21 receiver driving two older surrounds that will be replaced soon, my fronts will be the def tech BP series (either 7006 or 7004) and the center is a DT procinema1000. For the rears im looking into the BP series.

My question is should i use the existing older surrounds as the rear surrounds, and place the bipole's on the sides, or does that risk some cancellation or other issues. Alot of what ive read people prefer to stick with the 5.1 as opposed to going to a 7.1

Thanks

It's not wrong to use a bipole in either surround position. It's going to depend on your room and personal preference.

I would suggest using the bipole surround at the side position with no rear surround first. Then if you would like, try adding the older monopoles to the rear. Always rerun auto setup with each experiment.

The BP7004 would be the way to go if you can swing it.

If you don't mind me going a step further;

BP7004 Mains

CLR2002 Center

BP2X Side Surrounds

Add a nice separate sub down the road and you have a nice home theater.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
+1

I especially agree with headedforhighend with the center speaker as well. You should definitely have a matching center for a balanced front soundstage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by headedforhighend /forum/post/18234584

It's not wrong to use a bipole in either surround position. It's going to depend on your room and personal preference.

I would suggest using the bipole surround at the side position with no rear surround first. Then if you would like, try adding the older monopoles to the rear. Always rerun auto setup with each experiment.

The BP7004 would be the way to go if you can swing it.

If you don't mind me going a step further;

BP7004 Mains

CLR2002 Center

BP2X Side Surrounds

Add a nice separate sub down the road and you have a nice home theater.

Thanks for the replies....I currently have the Procinema 1000, and it looks like im going to hang onto it. Ive been pretty satisfied and at the 110 wpc the pioneer puts out and its high sensitivity it works well, im still playing with the volume to be sure it is loud enough though.

Im going to take your suggestion and get the 7004's i believe along with the bp's for surround.

you guys seem to know def tech pretty well, any concerns with mixing the pro1000 center and the bp fronts?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strecker25 /forum/post/18237959

Thanks for the replies....I currently have the Procinema 1000, and it looks like im going to hang onto it. Ive been pretty satisfied and at the 110 wpc the pioneer puts out and its high sensitivity it works well, im still playing with the volume to be sure it is loud enough though.

Im going to take your suggestion and get the 7004's i believe along with the bp's for surround.

you guys seem to know def tech pretty well, any concerns with mixing the pro1000 center and the bp fronts?

I have no doubt that you would be quite happy with the BP7004 fronts, PC1000 center, and BP2X surrounds. A setup such as this or any other manufacturers speakers that is a big upgrade to what you're use to can sound incredibly satisfying. But as your ears acclimate and your audio experience grows, you'll begin to notice more of the subtleties and nuances that were hidden by excitement previously.

Timbre matching your front sound stage will be something your going to inevitably do anyway. The 4.5" BDSS bass/mid range drivers of the PC1000 will sound a little off as the sound pans across the front sound stage from the 5.25" cast basket bass/mids of the BP7004.

The PC1000 does have good sensitivity and the passive radiators that are coupled to the mids do help with better extension, but this does nothing to assist the different timbres of these speakers.

The receivers' settings will help and I suspect you would have to run that center a little hot to keep up with those mains, but it will still be a little off.

For your benefit, I just want to make a case for getting the better matched center. I can understand that budget restraints and center speaker size can be an issue for now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
again, i really appreciate it.

I have been listening to good equipment for quite a while and i think thats why ive been so picky with this setup.

Knowing what im looking at for the mains (7004/7006) and their respective power handling, is the 100wpc the 21 is capable of outputting going to be sufficient? the receiver is bi-amp capable, yet from what i can find the speakers are not.

Also, a little of topic, the room this is in has the stairs to the right and an opening also on the right that extends to the next room. To get a balanced front stage i have to manually boost the left main channel to about +1.5dB. Just a product of placement and room layout?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by headedforhighend /forum/post/18238569

The receivers' settings will help and I suspect you would have to run that center a little hot to keep up with those mains, but it will still be a little off.

For your benefit, I just want to make a case for getting the better matched center. I can understand that budget restraints and center speaker size can be an issue for now.

clr2002 should be here today or tomorrow. went for that upgrade before even going to the mains, figured i might as well get it right from the beginning

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strecker25 /forum/post/18285010

clr2002 should be here today or tomorrow. went for that upgrade before even going to the mains, figured i might as well get it right from the beginning

Devising a plan after doing the research... only good things can come from that.

If you haven't noticed yet, there is the Definitive Owners Thread that is dedicated specifically to your choice of speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts