AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

Due to my room configuration, I had to go in-ceiling for my side surrounds in my 7.1 system. They are the Definitive Technology UIW RSS II, which are bipole speakers that angle downwards when ceiling mounted.

They will be positioned to the sides of the main listening area (between 90 to 100 degrees) in an 8 foot ceiling. The speakers end up being maybe 7 to 8 feet from my ears (the left surround will be closer than the right--don't ask--it's painful
)

The Def Techs allow you to install the speakers with the drivers pointing front/back of the theater OR side/side

The owners manual recommends the latter configuration (which would point one set of drivers towards the listening area); however, since the speakers are so close, I am inclined to aim the drivers towards the front and rear of the theater instead. I will be unable to audition them easily in both configurations given this is a ceiling mount. What is your opinion?

Also, how close to the side walls of the theater should I put them? I think if the drivers shoot front/back, it won't matter much, right?

Any thoughts and opinions would be welcome. Thanks in advance for your time!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll answer my own question

I had these speakers installed today, with them to the sides and slightly behind the main seating postion (about 100 degrees), with the drivers pointing towards the front and back of the theater. Since the speakers were slightly behind me, this set up ended up conforming to the owner's manual suggestion in that one set of drivers was pointing towards me and one away.

I haven't installed my mains yet, but were able to run some surround channels through these and they sound fine (closer to direct radiation (since they are bipolar) than dipole). Their range is surprising with more bass than I expected when I ran them as mains just to see.

In any event, if anyone ever wants to install these, please PM me--I have a few thoughts that might save you some trouble when you put them in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just saw your post. I have Mirage bi-polar surrounds mounted on the wall just like you describe. They are slightly behind the listening position with one set of drivers facing the front of the room and one set facing the rear. I had no other choice for mounting in my room layout.

I think they work great. Perhaps its the reflections off the rear wall, but it gives a very enveloping sound.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, jmorton: Thanks for your reply and experience. Actually, mind had to be in-ceiling, for which Definitive gave different directions than if they were on wall to the side (for some reason). (i.e. in ceiling--drivers to point directly to seats and away; in wall--to front and back of theater). It turned out that my in-ceiling placement seems OK (although I won't know for sure until I get my receiver). I hope it turns out as well as yours!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts