AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using Bipole surrounds in a 5.1 system, where is the ideal spot to mount them?

I have read side walls are best, and have also read rear wall is best.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. And follow the same height and angle guidelines from Dolby?

Or should they be mounted on side walls directly across(90 degrees from my head)? If 90 degrees from my head, at what height?

The more I read, the more conflicting info I get.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Speaker placement is always a matter of trial and error. In general, you want to aim tweeters at your ears so mounting at ear height is the easiest way to do that. If you mount lower or higher, you need to tilt the speakers to get the tweeters aimed at your ears..

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC  /t/1521229/bipoles-in-a-5-1-system#post_24449292

Thanks. And follow the same height and angle guidelines from Dolby?

Or should they be mounted on side walls directly across(90 degrees from my head)? If 90 degrees from my head, at what height?

The more I read, the more conflicting info I get.

...if you have the absolute perfect room like the one on the Dolby web site, then follow that exactly. Perfect room meaning not square, large enough to place furniture well away from walls.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC  /t/1521229/bipoles-in-a-5-1-system#post_24445915

When using Bipole surrounds in a 5.1 system, where is the ideal spot to mount them?

I have read side walls are best, and have also read rear wall is best.

Thanks.
bipoles should go behind the LP; dipoles go on the sides. In either configuration, surround speakers are typically supposed to be mounted 1-2 feet above ear height while seated as suggested in many setup guides.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1  /t/1521229/bipoles-in-a-5-1-system#post_24456627

bipoles should go behind the LP; dipoles go on the sides. In either configuration, surround speakers are typically supposed to be mounted 1-2 feet above ear height while seated as suggested in many setup guides.

Good. You finally completed the circle. Now the OP has both competing opinions.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1521229/bipoles-in-a-5-1-system#post_24456792

Good. You finally completed the circle. Now the OP has both competing opinions.
I think he said the speakers are bipole. Second link address appropriate use of bi-pole speakers. Both links address suggested height surrounds.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OVhy08mCzE0/learn/learningcenter/home/speaker_placement.html

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I mounted them on the side walls like Dolby suggests. The rear wall has too many obstructions to mount them properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts