AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: There is a sister thread to this one here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19650568

Hello all,

I'm looking for some recommendations on which antenna(s) to get.

(I'm desiring to get *everything upwards and including #45 (44.1 ION in YELLOW "Upwards on the below TVFool chart.)

*ABC may be putting a transmitter in the 220-224 degree range... If not...I've been going without it most of the time so I won't miss it.

Below are some units I've been considering. Feel free to add recommendations on other units.

BTW: I'm not against modifying a commercial unit,etc. I'm wanting a rock-solid signal.

Current 10+ year huge old pre-ATSC 12 ft long-old Radio-Shack branded outdoor antenna, pole mounted at around 15-18 feet is badly damaged- Over the years it's sustained various hits from falling limbs- here recently a tree trimming event finished off the VHF low elements..

Due to this option "Plan B" for attic mounting is on the table.

Two scenarios:
Plan A: Is to mount new antenna outside in it's current location. Antenna mast @15-18ft- Masonry chimney appox 2 feet to the south, Antenna mounted appx 4 feet higher than chimney. At this height antenna "sees" over roof ridge.
Plan B: Is to "Attic" mount the antenna - to protect antenna from limb /pollution damage to extend it's lifespan.

Most stations are 4-5miles LOS (LineOfSight) @ 220,221,223, 223 degrees +/- from the SW -but there are a few 35+ miles away.. coming from the NE.

I have (1) VHF 6 LOW channel coming from 222 degrees from the SW @ 4.6miles out... NM 79(db),& PWR 11.7 and #45 (44.xx ION - in YELLOW) I'd really like to get..

I'm hoping I can point the antenna towards the far away stations #45 (44.xx ION - in YELLOW), and #26 (60.xx) coming from the NE, and receive the close powerful stations off the backside (220>223 degrees.)

Looking at the TVFool charts I'm thinking I can go with a smaller antenna... I currently get 44.xx ION - in YELLOW pretty well right now with a antenna that's badly damaged.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da32ded628eb6e

Supporting details /factors:

The antenna will be feeding mulitple tuners. I'm trying to set my wife up with Win7 WindowsMediaCenter using multiple Silicon HDHomeRun tuners. Hence I need advice on a distribution plan.

House is not pre-wired for anything-

Single story 1930 house- Plaster with a extra layer of drywall...

Aluminum siding = that runs ALL the way up gables on North and South end of house.

House ridge runs almost exactly NORTH-SOUTH, and stations are 220>223 from the SE, and coming from 33, 42 degrees so I "may" be able to ATTIC mount antenna and shoot thru roof instead of gable ends.

Roof 4x12 pitch is wood - 2x4 rafters, 1x6 deck planking, then paper and asphalt shingles.

Trees- No major obstructions to the SW , pretty clear to NE.

Attic obstructions: 36inch whole house fan with metal blades- with 1hp motor-upgraded from 1/8hp mounted pretty much center of house.

Signal will be split to:

(2) SliconDust HDHomeRun tuners- each with (2) tuners per unit (4 tuners total-but others can be added very easily). As these units do NOT have a internal bridge splitter /distribution amp will be needed.

(2-3) TV's -old analogue with Dish/Echo DTVPal Plus converter boxes.

*Have some HD tuners (LG-4600A PPV as well- so these may be used, but I am preferring to use the HDHomeRun tuners- migrate away from old units to networkable /digtal feeds /flat panel Tv's.

Can anyone help me pick the appropriate antenna?

Any help would be appreciated.

Antennas Direct V21 High Gain UHF / VHF Antenna 2-69? but it's huge for attic mounting

Winegard HD7000R Dimensions 32.75" Length x 100" Width x 3" Height 2.36 lb

Winegard HD7010 VHF/UHF/FM Prostar 1000 TV

Hbu22 Suburban Antenna 70" Boom, 22 Elements Range50 Mi. VHF High-Band (Ch. 7-13), 55 Mi. UHF Band

These are 7-69 antennas-

Worried about receiving channel #6 VHF Low WUOA (23.1) - Also concerned about rain-fade. The HDHomeRun tuners seem to require a strong signal to function properly.

(CHN2018) Channel Master 2018 DIGITAL ADVANTAGE #7 thru 13 up to 60 miles,14 thru 69 up to 45 miles# Turning Radius: 57.5 in 60 x 22 x 77.6 inches ; 6lbs.

(CHN2016) Channel Master 2016 DIGITAL ADVANTAGE (HDTV / VHF / UHF) Outdoor Antenna 7 thru 69 up to 35 Miles 47" x 22" x 36.5" Weight: 5lbs Turning Radius: 34

(CHN2020) Channel Master 2020 DIGITAL ADVANTAGE (HDTV / VHF / UHF) Outdoor Antenna- 60 x 22 x 90.6 inches ; 6 pounds

Winegard 7694P

RCA ANT751

ez_hd_tv_Antenna
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...v_Antenna.html .

·
Registered
17,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 /forum/post/19629580

PBS #39 gives me grief alot of time.

WBIQ is currently on channel 10. They have a permit to move to 39, but have not yet done so.

Quote:
(ABC (40.10) #9 being off in right field so to speak..) ABC for me isn't a big issue- additionally I think I read ABC may be putting a transmitter at 223 degrees soon.

If you can receive either WCFT 33 or WBMA-LD 40 (not yet digital, analog 58), WJSU is unnecessary.

- Trip

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 /forum/post/19629580

Can anyone help me pick the appropriate antenna? While I would love to "build" a custom antenna, due to lack of space to fab one I've sort-of narrowed it down to the Channel Master 2016 , Winegard 7694P, RCA ANT751, ez_hd_tv_Antenna

You've selected three 7-69 antennas. They won't do so well on WOUA which is on channel 6.

You could try an FM dipole and a HLSJ adeded to one of the antennas that you've selected to solve the problem.

Due to space considerations I'd try the ANT751.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Even though the ANT751 is a VHF-HI+UHF antenna and not tuned for lowband VHF (WUOA Real ch6), it should still work at your strong signal location. Aim it NE, toward your weaker channels. The stronger chs to the SW should still come in off the back side of the antenna.

[EDIT] Oops, just noticed you have aluminum siding. Attic reception may not work, if the siding goes up the gable ends of the house. It may also account for reception difficulties you're currently having, which should be a piece-o-cake, if your TVFool is correct. I would strongly suggest installing the antenna on the roof.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/19630377

WBIQ is currently on channel 10. They have a permit to move to 39, but have not yet done so.

- Trip

Seeing as the FCC is intent on taking everything above channel 30 by 2015 do you think they are going to make that move? Why move the have to move back?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon /forum/post/19630266

Please use your location in the thread title when it's critical to your post. See my edit.

No problem, edit away.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/19630377

If you can receive either WCFT 33 or WBMA-LD 40 (not yet digital, analog 58), WJSU is unnecessary.

- Trip

Edited org post to reflect PBS is on 10.xx, Id'd as #39 on graph. ABC 33 is problematic due to location- and damaged antenna.

A replacement for the "Damaged antenna" is the reason for this thread. Can you give some FEEDBACK on antennas which would be suitable for receiving VHF 6 LOW @ 5miles NM 79(db),& PWR 11.7, Most UHF same distance- a couple UHF out to 40 miles?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy /forum/post/19630451

You've selected three 7-69 antennas. They won't do so well on WOUA which is on channel 6.

You could try an FM dipole and a HLSJ adeded to one of the antennas that you've selected to solve the problem.

Due to space considerations I'd try the ANT751.

Q: Which additional FM dipole would you recommend?

Q: Is there a chance that the ANT751 or other 7-69 unit would pick up WUOA (VHF Low 6) due to it being LOS, within 4-5 miles with high signal strength?

Q: I am not set on the ANT751 but I will have to admit size is a issue if attic mounted, and it is priced attractively.

Open to suggestions on:

Roof mounted=

Attic mounted=

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/19630479

Even though the ANT751 is a VHF-HI+UHF antenna and not tuned for lowband VHF (WUOA Real ch6), it should still work at your strong signal location. Aim it NE, toward your weaker channels. The stronger chs to the SW should still come in off the back side of the antenna.

[EDIT] Oops, just noticed you have aluminum siding. Attic reception may not work, if the siding goes up the gable ends of the house. It may also account for reception difficulties you're currently having, which should be a piece-o-cake, if your TVFool is correct. I would strongly suggest installing the antenna on the roof.

I was thinking the same thing, due to most transmitters being 4-5 miles away aim antenna at weaker stations and stronger chs to the SW should still come in off the back side of the antenna.

On the aluminum siding, Yep -this is causing problems.

Regarding the aluminum siding going up the gables.... on the North end of the house aluminum siding goes all the way up to roof ridge. With that said the house pretty much runs in a North-South line. (Gables at north and south end.) So I'm thinking I may be able to position antenna correctly for channels coming out of NE.

Another concern-besides the aluminum siding is I have is 36 inch metal bladed attic whole house fan (1hp, used to be 1/8hp)

If that doesn't work -outdoor is a given. ANT751 is cheap enough that I wouldn't cry if it sustains damage...

PS: I'm thinking of going with (2) antenna's- One that feeds the HDHomeRuns, the other feeding other devices. Haven't thought that out... just a thought...

Any thoughts on that?

Keep the idea's coming guys, it is greatly appreciated.

Distribution ideas are welcome.. (recommended amps/splitters, etc)

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69
I was thinking the same thing, due to most transmitters being 4-5 miles away aim antenna at weaker stations and stronger chs to the SW should still come in off the back side of the antenna.
I have installed the 751 in a similar situation where stations were in close to opposite directions, and aimed it at the weaker stations. Their TVFool was similar, but slightly weaker, and there was no lowband VHF. But your low VHF channel is quite strong.

Quote:
On the aluminum siding, Yep -this is causing problems.

If that doesn't work -outdoor is a given. ANT751 is cheap enough that I wouldn't cry if it sustains damage...
I would not install in an attic if there is metal siding on the house. The 751 is a well-built antenna (made by Winegard for Audiovox/RCA) and should hold up well outdoors.

Quote:
PS: I'm thinking of going with (2) antennas- One that feeds the HDHomeRuns, the other feeding other devices.
No need to, really. Just one antenna and a distribution amp should be all you need.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've edited the opening post- Hopefully it's easier to follow.

Guys (and Gals)...

I'm needing some info on this to keep the wife happy. As you know keeping the wife happy is good policy.

Can I get some recommendations on antennas which would be suitable for receiving VHF LOW, Real channel 6 @ 5miles LineOf Sight NM 79(db),& PWR 11.7, Most UHF same distance- a couple UHF out to 40 miles?

I'm hoping to be able to point antenna towards the weaker, farther away stations to the NE, and be able to get the rest on the backside of the antenna.

Current antenna is mast mounted. From the way I'm reading all this a smaller antenna could be used with a el-cheap dipole enabling the antenna to be attic mounted.

While the el-cheap-o dipole is a welcome suggest- are there any more substantial solutions?

(EG: Read that as units that work in tandem that if needed can be mounted OUTSIDE - I am not firm on a ATTIC install.)

So far (1) ANT751 has been mentioned as a solution. It seems to be a well liked antenna on Amazon.com review wise, but I'd rather pay a few dollars more if needed to insure the unit will pull in the stations, especially if it goes in the attic.

(Translation: I'd rather pay more to get a antenna with higher gain ratios- More metal in it?)

PS: I'm also not against modifying a commercial unit to add 6 VHF low, or using a VHF Low antenna with a VHF High, UHF unit.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
I with signals that strong you shouldn't need a low-VHF antenna. You should be able to pull in asignal with a hi-VHF antena. The main issue might be interference. I'm not the expert but I would think an attict install would reduce the risk of inteference you might get from both inside the house and outside the house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have bought this antenna, I Live in Talladega, the channels im getting and their peak signal is 6.1 52, 7.1 72, 7.2 74, 7.3 74, 13.1 58, 13.2 32, 40.1 76, 40.2 74, 68.1 64, 68.2 32. Right now I only have one tv hooked up its about 30 foot run, wanting to run another tv, would like to know if I should buy some kind of booster and what kind should it be. Please help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts