AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a Chaintech AV710 flashed to AudioTrak Prodigy. With ASIO plugin, WinAmp is bit-perfect as DTS CD can be decoded at my receiver. In linux, what do I do? I googled but didn't find any useful info.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert in Linux HTPC's, but in windows, the culprit is something called kmixer. Linux doesn't have kmixer. But the problem with linux as far as I can tell will be finding and assembling the drivers you need.

I was planning on using linux for my music server, but I gave up after I realized that assembling the drivers was going to be a major PITA. I'm sure it's doable and maybe I'll get around to it at some point. (and maybe the drivers and components I need will eventually all be integrated into a distro.)

I really didn't want to spend another $120 for another copy of XP Pro, but that's what I ended up doing.

-David

·
Registered
849 Posts
there's nothing else to do other than install the Alsa drivers and telling your player how to output the sound. Linux sound doesn't have any hindrances like Windows does.

for instance in MPlayer via s/pdif...

mplayer -ao alsa:spdif -ac hwac3 some_audio_track.ac3

-ao alsa:spdif = output to s/pdif

-ac hwac3 = output to hardware ac3 decoder, i.e. don't decode it, just send the bits

you can also specify these settings per user so that all sound defaults to a certain output on the card (and/or a certain output method), the file is called .asoundrc, searching google for ".asoundrc and ac3 dts" should turn up plenty of info.

the -ao options vary slightly depending on your Alsa version and which output you're using. i believe you can try alsa:digital, see if it works, that will tell the driver to check your sound card and use whatever digital output is available.

edit:

found a full list of options from a mailing list post on mythtv's list...

Quote:
"ALSA:analog" for analog output, "ALSA:digital" for S/PDIF output, "ALSA:mixed-analog" for software-mixed analog output, or "ALSA:mixed-digital" for software-mixed S/PDIF output. The mixed output will allow you to hear sounds generated by other programs using the mixed output device on your Myth box while watching TV, DVD's, etc. The non-mixed output will block other sounds so you won't be interrupted by beeps, clicks, etc. while watching a recording--but, unfortunately, after the recording finishes (and the ALSA device is released), the other sounds--having been queued up--will play back one after the other (it's not a pleasant sound, and is often much louder than the recording). Note, also, the rate conversion to 48000Hz used by the mixed output

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.