·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I've owned both Samsung's and Sony's

I've always been a Sony guy but I loved my 55d6900 Samsung when I had it

I work for an electronics company and get a good deal on Sony's

The 65x950b would be $2400 plus tax

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of HDR. But the Sony rep who works for Sony says the 950 as well as the 900B will receive firmware updates for HDR. I don't know how true this is BUT I can say I trust this guy with anything when it comes to tv's, no question. If this is true the X950B is a no brainer for me at that price

comparing vs the 65JS9500 which I also like, has HDR and has AC wireless capabilities. But I like the picture a little better on the X950b and I get a much better deals on the Sony's

Thoughts? Anyone heard about the HDR firmware?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The 65X950B will not be receiving a firmware update for HDR support. I heard this direct from Phil Jones from Sony. However, the X950B already does its own flavor HDR "upconversion" for any content you watch with XDR (X-Tended Dynamic Range).

As nice as the Samsung is, I still think the X950B has a nicer picture.

·
Registered
214 Posts
While the 950B at that price is insane, I just don't trust Sony.

HDR is a ways away from Mainstream, so I think if your thinking of upgrading again in 3-5 years, then go for it.

Honestly, I think Sony should ditch the Smart TV functions and focus on pure picture. History has shown that the internals just can't keep up in these sets anyways when new set top boxes are released almost quarterly.

That's where Samsung cleans Sonys clock. Although, if the price were the same, I would take the JS9500 over the 950B. Again, that's because I have been burned by Sony for the last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts

Sony does a great job. No doubt about it. Samsung sets require more dialing in and care. One that's been done, I really struggle to agree with Sony having the edge.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 65X950B will not be receiving a firmware update for HDR support. I heard this direct from Phil Jones from Sony. However, the X950B already does its own flavor HDR "upconversion" for any content you watch with XDR (X-Tended Dynamic Range).

I agree. Working around tv's for 3 years I see all of the differences that most don't. But are you sure on the HDR? He said word for word what you said about the XDR Pro, but I can't see why a firmware wouldn't be possible. Said only the 900b and 950b from this year would receive that. Works directly for sony as well (in store, not on phone)

While the 950B at that price is insane, I just don't trust Sony.

HDR is a ways away from Mainstream, so I think if your thinking of upgrading again in 3-5 years, then go for it.

Honestly, I think Sony should ditch the Smart TV functions and focus on pure picture. History has shown that the internals just can't keep up in these sets anyways when new set top boxes are released almost quarterly.

That's where Samsung cleans Sonys clock. Although, if the price were the same, I would take the JS9500 over the 950B. Again, that's because I have been burned by Sony for the last time.

Dang, that stinks. Never been burned by either company. But this is my first real big purchase. Don't plan on upgrading this tv anytime soon. This is actually a bedroom tv. I get another discount for next years models. Considering the 75x910c or 75x940 for living room

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree. Working around tv's for 3 years I see all of the differences that most don't. But are you sure on the HDR? He said word for word what you said about the XDR Pro, but I can't see why a firmware wouldn't be possible. Said only the 900b and 950b from this year would receive that. Works directly for sony as well (in store, not on phone)

Dang, that stinks. Never been burned by either company. But this is my first real big purchase. Don't plan on upgrading this tv anytime soon. This is actually a bedroom tv. I get another discount for next years models. Considering the 75x910c or 75x940 for living room

Let me be clear though, the 950B is an awesome set.

I just don't like Sonys dealings with those that purchased 900As.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I won't really argue about brands here....I'll just say that I'm a big Sony fan and have had lots of their products (currently own an X850B) without any problems. I love Panasonic TVs too, and I have probably had more issues with them than any other TV brand I've owned.

I don't really understand what you mean by "Sony should focus on the picture..." because that's pretty much what they do. They been doing WCG implementation for two years longer than Samsung, and their processing/upscaling LSI is almost unanimously agreed upon to be the best in the business. They don't offer the same range of adjustments as much as other brands, but their color is generally spot on in Cinema mode.

Plus, the Samsung adds the nonsensical curve which is annoying (to me) and distorts the image (fact). I might like it more if it came flat. Insofar as smart features, IMO Tizen is pretty awful (slow, buggy) and worse than their old smart platform. The new 2015 Sonys will have Android TV which is pretty awesome if my Nexus Player is any indication.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me be clear though, the 950B is an awesome set.

I just don't like Sonys dealings with those that purchased 900As.

Totally understand man. Unfortunately companies are not as good as they used to be when it comes to customer service. The world we live in

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I can only tell you what I heard from Phil Jones (Product Information Manager of Televisions for all of Sony electronics). I doubt very much that either would be capable of reading HDR metadata, might be hardware or software limitations at play from using older hardware, I'm not sure. But I wouldn't count on such a huge feature being added if it isn't expressly guaranteed. This is the first time I've heard about the X950B or X900B supporting real HDR and I don't think it's true.

I might also be an SEE... and I can tell you that our Sony reps are not always right :rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can only tell you what I heard from Phil Jones (Product Information Manager of Televisions for all of Sony electronics). I doubt very much that either would be capable of reading HDR metadata, might be hardware or software limitations at play from using older hardware, I'm not sure. But I wouldn't count on such a huge feature being added if it isn't expressly guaranteed. This is the first time I've heard about the X950B or X900B supporting real HDR and I don't think it's true.

I might also be an SEE... and I can tell you that our Sony reps are not always right :rolleyes:
True. I've had some bad ones. But this guy eats, breathes, sleeps Sony product and he guarantees a firmware update on the 950. Could be wrong. Hopefully it doesn't change the picture TOO much. The XDR makes it look amazing but if it could get better....that'd be a bummer

you get 70% off sony and your questioning what to buy? LOL x940c and if its too big x950b and be done

From what I've been told when this accommodation runs out the new one is a whole new one. So I was planning on 65x950b for bedroom and 75x910c or 75x940c for living room. But I don't want to lose out on HDR if it's going to make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
True. I've had some bad ones. But this guy eats, breathes, sleeps Sony product and he guarantees a firmware update on the 950. Could be wrong. Hopefully it doesn't change the picture TOO much. The XDR makes it look amazing but if it could get better....that'd be a bummer

From what I've been told when this accommodation runs out the new one is a whole new one. So I was planning on 65x950b for bedroom and 75x910c or 75x940c for living room. But I don't want to lose out on HDR if it's going to make a huge difference.
than get an x950b on this one and a x940c on the other as your limited to one tv per acommindation ps im from Store 0341 im the one in the virtural training pending the time window you took that asked all the over the top questions.

·
Registered
17,118 Posts

did he by chance specify if the tv would be able to do HDR via streaming or by disc or both? i think it MIGHT be possible to do an HDR update to give it psuedo HDR that can stream it, but wont be able to receive it through its HDMI ports.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
than get an x950b on this one and a x940c on the other as your limited to one tv per acommindation ps im from Store 0341 im the one in the virtural training pending the time window you took that asked all the over the top questions.
Haha what's up?!

did he by chance specify if the tv would be able to do HDR via streaming or by disc or both? i think it MIGHT be possible to do an HDR update to give it psuedo HDR that can stream it, but wont be able to receive it through its HDMI ports.

He didn't specify. Here was his text

"It's ready for hdr. hdr is a standard in the industry. When the new 4k blurays come out, they will be encoded with hdr. The x950 will receive a firmware update to accept and decode it. But what's important to remember is that with out XDR technology, basically everything you watch is replicating what hdr will be like"

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Haha what's up?!

He didn't specify. Here was his text

"It's ready for hdr. hdr is a standard in the industry. When the new 4k blurays come out, they will be encoded with hdr. The x950 will receive a firmware update to accept and decode it. But what's important to remember is that with out XDR technology, basically everything you watch is replicating what hdr will be like"
which time slot did you take the vitural sony tour?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So my Sony rep emailed Phil Jones directly. After a surprising 20 minutes, he came back with the news that HDR update would not be coming to 2014 models. Which to me is confusing on the 65x950b because you're keeping it this year and saying it's still better than your top tv this year. Interesting to me

Was told it has nothing to do with the hdmis or even firmware at that point, but basically the tv has to be told it can do HDR. It's a huge licensing fee fromy Dolby and Sony didn't want to pay it. Which is frustrating

I really want to get the 65x950 as I love the picture but I'm wondering if HDR will change THAT much and if I'll regret this decision. I don't think so as it's not even going to be my main living room tv or anything but still.

I was assured by my Sony rep (again a guy I trust) and he assures me dolby and sony have been working together for awhile and that even though HDR DOES make things look better, the XDR Pro in the 950 is extremely solid and not really that much of an upgrade. Thoughts on this?

I'm excited because he said Sony usually releases their flagship in October, so possibility of a new style 950 or better?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I can't say I've seen any real live HDR demos personally, but everybody who sees one seems to swear by it. You have to keep in mind that very little content may actually be encoded in HDR, and you may not even want to watch that content if it's not to your taste. I don't want to watch Life of Pi 300 times but it makes good demo material.

Sony does have a history of "keeping" flagship FALD displays for 18-24 months before refreshing them versus the 10-12 month cycle of other models. In my recollection they did this with the transition from the HX909 to HX929, and HX929 to HX950. That certainly could mean a refresh for the X950B in the fall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't say I've seen any real live HDR demos personally, but everybody who sees one seems to swear by it. You have to keep in mind that very little content may actually be encoded in HDR, and you may not even want to watch that content if it's not to your taste. I don't want to watch Life of Pi 300 times but it makes good demo material.

Sony does have a history of "keeping" flagship FALD displays for 18-24 months before refreshing them versus the 10-12 month cycle of other models. In my recollection they did this with the transition from the HX909 to HX929, and HX929 to HX950. That certainly could mean a refresh for the X950B in the fall.
I'm sure the HDR makes a difference, but I have to believe with the XDR pro that it's not so huge when comparing. I really have to make a decision before 5/15 for this accommodation and now I'm wondering if I should just go with the x850 as my bedroom tv. (Can't order the 65x900 anymore)

Meh, decisions.

I'm excited to see what they have in store for their new flagship, no matter when it comes out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts