AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For some reason I am unable to bitstream HD audio from my HPTC to my Denon 4520CI. When I play blu-rays with HD audio (DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD) my receiver only shows "multi-channel in" as active (7 channels).

This also holds true for non-HD audio as Dolby Digital or DTS does not show either. Again, only multi-channel input for sound.

My setup:

HTPC to Denon 4520CI via HDMI (audio and video)

Intel H55 mobo with Core i3 (Intel drivers are all updated)

Win7 (again fully updated)

TMT5 (version .187)

Using MediaBrowser 3 with VCD to mount .iso files to play

Within Windows, I have activated the Intel HD audio (HDMI) as the default audio, disabled other sound devices, set the speaker output to 7 channels, and have tried seemingly every output format (e.g. 16 bit 44100, 24bit 44100, etc). In the window for the Denon (control panel, sound), it shows all supported formats such as DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc.

I've tried to figure out the problem for hours without any success. For some reason, this HTPC worked fine with my old Onkyo TX-NR905 but the Denon and the HTPC won't sync up.

Any idea what I should try to fix this issue?

Thanks,

TWells

·
Registered
12 Posts

Have you configured your player to enable 'bitstream'?

Not sure about TMT5, but if you're using MPC-HC, you can goto Options >Internal Filters > Audio Decoder > Tick the formats under Bitstream.

NOTE: Based on reading several threads/forums, there doesn't seem to be much difference in sound quality whether Windows decodes it, or whether you bitstream it to your receiver and let your receiver decode it.  Seems to be more a psychological 'peace of mind' thing to see the Dolby icon 'light up' on your receiver (in which case you need to 'Bitstream')

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha3  /t/1523641/bitstream-audio-from-h55-board-to-denon-4520ci-issue#post_24526540

NOTE: Based on reading several threads/forums, there doesn't seem to be much difference in sound quality whether Windows decodes it, or whether you bitstream it to your receiver and let your receiver decode it.  Seems to be more a psychological 'peace of mind' thing to see the Dolby icon 'light up' on your receiver (in which case you need to 'Bitstream')

This is one remark that would start an endless debate / discussion six years ago on this forum...

Anyway, the above is not completely true...

If you have the right gear in place you will hear the difference, if you use cheap speakers you probably won't be able to tell...

At home I definitely hear the difference when comparing DD to DTHD, let alone audio that is decoded on a windows PC...

The reaction to sound quality difference will always vary from one individual to another

The comment "Seems to be more a psychological 'peace of mind' thing to see the Dolby icon 'light up' on your receiver" is a blanket statement at the best...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With my gear (and related acoustic treatments in the room), I can certainly tell the difference. I've done some comparisons with and without the HPTC and I am convinced that I am missing something.

If I can figure out how to do an EDID override, would that help? If not, I may be trying a different method (Popcorn Hour A-410) to stream my media.

Thanks,

T.Wells

·
Registered
12 Posts

Have you confirmed 'bitstreaming' is enabled in your player?

Try testing a minimum of 44.1K  Dolby, 44.1K DTS, 48K Dolby and 48K DTS media through MPC-HC with bitstreaming enabled and if you can't get it working with any media you test, then start exploring other options.

Try upgrading to TMT6?

If for some reason you get it working when your TV is turned off, but doesn't work when your TV is turned on, then maybe EDID would work then...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts