AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to my new Denon 3312 from the Amazon gold box deal, I can finally enjoy hdaudio bitstreaming from my htpc. But I can't quite seem to get it to work. Hopefully someone can help.

System Setup:

CPU+GPU: Core i3 2100

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

Player: MPC-HC

Codec: LAV 0.50.5 and ffdshow

Video Renderer: madvr

Video format: blu rays ripped with makemkv and transcoded using Handbrake

TV: Samsung HL-S5086W DLP

Receiver: Denon 3312

I have verified using mediainfo that the mkv's I've tried have dts-hd or truehd tracks. I have also verified that bitstreaming works on the receiver and hdmi cable in question from a standalone bd player.

Bitstreaming of regular dts or dolby works fine, however, when I set LAV to bitstream the hd formats, I just end up with no sound at all. The receiver just shows "Stereo", it does not show that it is receiving the bitstream format. I also tried it using ffdshow audio decoder, with the same issue. The supported formats list for the hdmi audio output (which shows in the playback devices list as "DENON-AVAMP") does list all the appropriate formats (dts audio, dolby digital plus, dts-hd, dolby truehd, dolby digital) and all the sample rates from 32 to 192 khz, so it doesn't seem like an edid issue.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers (both the latest from gigabyte and from intel), and the realtek sound drivers. I also installed the MEI driver from intel, to no avail.

Any ideas on what I might be missing?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Go to "sound" in control panel an ensure that the Denon is set as the default device (it should say AVM Denon or similar). Then make sure the HD Audio is enabled.

Also, you need to d/l the inteligent management from intel's driver d/l page if you haven't already done that.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Oh wait. You did that.

Uninstal ffdshow as it may be conflicting with LAV.

I USE Lav inside MPC-HC launched from MB with my Denon 2312ci.

Awesome deal on amazon last week! Epic, actually!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22154350

Go to "sound" in control panel an ensure that the Denon is set as the default device (it should say AVM Denon or similar). Then make sure the HD Audio is enabled.

Also, you need to d/l the inteligent management from intel's driver d/l page if you haven't already done that.

The denon is set as the default device.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Then make sure the HD Audio is enabled".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22154365

Uninstal ffdshow as it may be conflicting with LAV.

I'll give that a shot.

I see on the intel download center that there are several versions of the MEI driver. Do specific versions go with specific chipsets? I'm pretty sure I tried v7, so maybe I'll try v8 too.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower47  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22154393

The denon is set as the default device.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Then make sure the HD Audio is enabled".

There should be check boxes showing that the dts-HD/MA and DD TrueHD is enabled.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
With all that $$$ you saved on the 3312ci you could spring $25 for assassin's guides. The set-up of audio codecs in WMC and a zillion other tricks and tips are in there with screen shots and all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I've tried the MEI v8 driver, tried uninstalling ffdshow, and tried the realtek driver from realtek instead of from gigabyte, still no go.

The supported formats tab in the playback device screen doesn't have any checkboxes for me, just a list of the formats.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22154405

With all that $$$ you saved on the 3312ci you could spring $25 for assassin's guides. The set-up of audio codecs in WMC and a zillion other tricks and tips are in there with screen shots and all.

+1.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Uninstall LAV.

Try Shark007 to clean up your codec registry. There's a free guide to this on assassin's blog and sharky's website. You can use Shark007 to clean up your codecs and install LAV.

Basically you will reset to windows default this way and then start over.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22154405

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22155418

+1.

hehe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just want to say that I was having major issues with audio bitstreaming yesterday using LAV splitter. After about 2-3minutes, the audio would start stuttering and the Codec indication on the AVR would blink as it dropped audio. I uninstalled LAV and used Assassin's guide to set up Shark 007 and it's working great.

I'm not sure what the issue is but I'm bitstreaming audio now and it sounds amazing. Btw, I am a long time computer nut, been building PCs for over 10 years. Assassin's guides are great and would recommend them to even the most experienced builders.

Assassin, might I suggest doing some guides on some more Media Browser fanart and backdrops? Things that can really set MB apart. I know you have a couple themes in the guides but I feel like your not really showing the true power of MB. (I may have missed it too, I haven't gone through all of the guides yet)

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrcks9901  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22156547

Assassin, might I suggest doing some guides on some more Media Browser fanart and backdrops? Things that can really set MB apart. I know you have a couple themes in the guides but I feel like your not really showing the true power of MB. (I may have missed it too, I haven't gone through all of the guides yet)

I have a few. The problem is the themes change often and updating each version of each theme to keep them current would be an issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I've tried updating the bios, I've tried shark007's pack (following assasins guide), I've tried another round of driver juggling, and I've tried the latest XBMC monthly build with the AE patch, still no go.

I did find this line in the manual for the motherboard: "Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)". Is this right? I thought that hd audio support was pretty universal for z68 boards. The manuals for newer gigabyte boards (7 series) say this instead: "The HDMI port is HDCP compliant and supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio formats. It also supports up to 192KHz/24bit 8-channel LPCM audio output."

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower47  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22168618

So I've tried updating the bios, I've tried shark007's pack (following assasins guide), I've tried another round of driver juggling, and I've tried the latest XBMC monthly build with the AE patch, still no go.

I did find this line in the manual for the motherboard: "Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)". Is this right? I thought that hd audio support was pretty universal for z68 boards. The manuals for newer gigabyte boards (7 series) say this instead: "The HDMI port is HDCP compliant and supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio formats. It also supports up to 192KHz/24bit 8-channel LPCM audio output."

Based solely on what you just posted (no research done myself) it looks like your board does not support bitstreaming of the HD formats. But I don't know how that works with Intel integrated graphics, I use an AMD system.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower47  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22168618

Under sound in the control panel what do you see as supported formats for your HDMI device? That board should support HD Audio despite what the manual says. Also, have you installed all the Intel drivers from the Intel website?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
The specs for your board on Gigabytes website:

HDMI™-The Next Generation Multimedia Interface

HDMI™ is a High-Definition Multimedia Interface which provides up to 5Gb/s video transmitting bandwidth and 8-channel high quality audio all through a single cable. Able to transmit superior, uncompressed digital video and audio, HDMI™ ensures the crispest rendering of digital content up to 1080p without the quality losses associated with analog interfaces and their digital-to-analog conversion. In addition, HDMI™ is compatible with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), allowing the playback of Blu-ray/HD DVD and other protected media content.

Audio

1.Realtek ALC889 codec

2.High Definition Audio

3.2/4/5.1/7.1-channel

* To configure 7.1-channel audio, you have to use an HD front panel audio module and enable the multi-channel audio feature through the audio driver.

4.Support for S/PDIF Out

Are you sure you downloaded all the drivers for the MoBo from Gigabyte's website?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22169359

Under sound in the control panel what do you see as supported formats for your HDMI device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22169362

Are you sure you downloaded all the drivers for the MoBo from Gigabyte's website?

Positive. I've tried the graphics driver from both intel and gigabyte's site, the audio driver from both realtek and gigabyte's site, and the MEI driver from both intel and gigabyte's site.

A couple more screenshots, one showing a test file I was using (from demo-world), and another showing the LAV/MPC-HC setup.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Did you disable mkv in MPC-HC? This bypasses the internal MPC-HC filter for mkv files.

Also try the "Use DTS-HD..." Check box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1416836/bitstreaming-help#post_22172146

Did you disable mkv in MPC-HC? This bypasses the internal MPC-HC filter for mkv files.

Also try the "Use DTS-HD..." Check box.

Yea, all of the internal filters are disabled in MPC-HC. I've also tried with both mkv and m2ts containers.

I just tried the DTS-HD framing checkbox, no go. It also broke regular DTS playback.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts