AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally ready to purchase a plasma, but I only keep getting more confused when reading articles or passing by stores (brandsmart, best buy, sound advice, etc.)

What would you guys recommed, I am looking for a 60"+ plasma. I don't really need speakers as I have a Denon Reciever and good speakers. I will be seating about 12 feet from the TV. I have had my eyes set on the Panny 65 ONYX, but I am a little concerned at the viewing distance. I keep hearing that I will see huge pixels and that it won't look right.

Let me know what you guys think I should get, money is not a factor, but quality is. I was thinking Panny 65 ONYX, Pioneer 61 Elite, LG RU60PZ61, Samsung or even Hitachi. These are all the models I have looked.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Vendor
31,432 Posts
You might want to look into the Pioneer 614MX. Not quite the Elite but not very far off and even though price is not a factor the 25-35% more in cost is alot to think about.

The Hitachi 55" 55HDT51 or the 55HDM71 are nice unit and nicely priced but in my opionion they are not quite the Pioneer or Panasonic.

Last but not least the Panasonic 65PHD7UY.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarrera77
What would you guys recommed, I am looking for a 60"+ plasma... I will be seating about 12 feet from the TV.
On the assumption you meant to say "Biting" I fear you risk being chastised for starting a "Bitting the Bullet" thread, :eek: much like those of us who have had the audacity to commit the unthinkable "Pulled the Trigger" fopaux... :rolleyes: I can say:

To achieve a BIG screen theater impact, the "sweet spot" to view a 50" HD FP from... is 10', so with a 60" PDP you should be good at 12'. Anything less... and that BIG screen imparts more of a TV look & feel.

It's interesting that after a short period of time, no matter how BIG the display, one inevitably will experience the shrinkage phenomena. ;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Don't worry about the size of the pixels. The panny 65's pixels are 1.05mm square. The panny 42 ED's pixels are 1.08mm square. (the 65's pixels are smaller than the 42 ED's pixels) SDE should disappear at a closer distance on the 65 vs 42ED.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
the audacity to commit the unthinkable "Pulled the Trigger" fopaux...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlyn
I believe that's a faux pas...
Thanks for pointing that out... 'Dude' :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am ordering the Pioneer 614MX later today. Before I do, does anybody have any negative feedback on it? :confused:

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rolleyes: Actually, I'm going to wait it out for the new 1080p Panny 65".

If I'm going to spend this kind of money now, I'm going to make sure that its worth it.

I was reading the threads on the 1080p and there was tons of great info from Captain and RH.

This forum is awsome.

What do you guys think...?

·
Registered
101 Posts
wait for the 1080p one. If money is no object, then why settle for less than the best? 65" 1920x1080 will have a minimum viewing distance (with 1080 content) of probably 5-7 feet before SDE is an issue.

plus you won't have any real upgrade desire for a LONG time. And it will probably be $9,000 dollars. Might as well get more for your money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpatient
wait for the 1080p one. If money is no object, then why settle for less than the best? 65" 1920x1080 will have a minimum viewing distance (with 1080 content) of probably 5-7 feet before SDE is an issue.

plus you won't have any real upgrade desire for a LONG time. And it will probably be $9,000 dollars. Might as well get more for your money.
Thats exactly what i'm thinking. I was goint to get the 614mx from pioneer, but i'll just hold off for a month or so. That way i know i have the latest and greatest for the future.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpatient
65" 1920x1080 will have a minimum viewing distance (with 1080 content) of probably 5-7 feet before SDE is an issue.
Be sure to have some duct tape on hand... because if you watch a 65" 1080p screen from 6' I'll bet your head will explode! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.