AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see this mentioned previously. Sorry if it's a repeat. Looks like Bjoern Roy's web site got a mention in the recent online chat that took place (with a different HT site which I won't mention here) with Van Ling. Here's an excerpt from the chat:

Believe it or not, there was in fact NO edge enhancement on TPM...which is not to say

there wasn't something that people were reacting to. AOTC is totally clean because it came from

a totally digital source, and the technology has only gotten better in the last year. TPM was

transferred from film rather than digital, because Lucasfilm felt it was truer to the film-origination

nature of the movie. But THX and I have been looking at the source of people's complaints, and it

is interesting. The one guy who posted shots online that he said was proof of edge enhancement?

I compared the exact same frames with digital files of the HD telecine transfer and the artifacts were

NOT THERE. This means that the ringing edges happened downstream of the transfer, maybe

during the down conversion or even on his monitor. The fact that some folks have complained

about seeing EE on AOTC while others swear it's totally clean leads me to believe that there is a

HUGE disparity between people's sets and player decoders but we'll keep on trying to monitor

the issue. We know it's important to everyone -- especially in this forum.

While he doesn't mention Bjoern Roy by name, from the description given it sure sounds like his site. Nice to see they took notice and also quite interesting to read Van Ling's response to the EE issue. Way to go Bjoern for all your hard work and very informative resources!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.