AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Black ceiling!

1555 Views 24 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  SuperGoop
Since I cannot buy black ceiling tile for my suspended ceiling I was wondering if it will really be worth it to either paint them or cover them with black cloth?I would need to do 12 2'x4' tiles for the area above & in front of the screen.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
I painted my ceiling and it made a huge difference. Blacks are much improved.

Stace
In my ht, the walls and ceiling are painted black starting about 5' from the wall the screen is on. I can have all the lights on in the room, which is 2 ceiling recessed lights and 4 ambient sconsed lights on the walls all at least 7' from the screen without noticing any degradation in lumens. The picture looks great even with the room completely lit, and I wouldn't want to set up a ht room any other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman
I painted my ceiling and it made a huge difference. Blacks are much improved.

Stace

How do you figure? Contrast is improved with a dark room but blacks are actually degraged a little bit IMO.

My entire room is darkish grey.
See less See more
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson
How do you figure? Contrast is improved with a dark room but blacks are actually degraged a little bit IMO.

My entire room is darkish grey.
Ceiling relfected back a lot of light which washed out the picture including blacks.

Stace
What would be less hassle,painting or covering with cloth?
Quote:
Ceiling relfected back a lot of light which washed out the picture including blacks.

Stace

True but then there is the whole perception thing since everything around you is black the the on-screen blacks look a little less black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbruins2
Since I cannot buy black ceiling tile for my suspended ceiling I was wondering if it will really be worth it to either paint them or cover them with black cloth?I would need to do 12 2'x4' tiles for the area above & in front of the screen.
I have 2x2 black ceiling tiles in my basement theater. Why can't you just order the black 2x4 panels from a company like this. The panels are made by Armstrong.
http://www.railwaydistributing.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbruins2
What would be less hassle,painting or covering with cloth?
I used some felt and a whole bunch of tacks. It wasn't that hard but you do get a sore neck. THe best part... You only need one coat of cloth you could end up needed a couple coats of paint depending on the type of ceiling you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson
True but then there is the whole perception thing since everything around you is black the the on-screen blacks look a little less black.
For me it was a definate improvement. ;)
Quote:
For me it was a definate improvement. ;)
Oh it was for me as well, I guess am just saying that improved blacks was not the first thing I noticed. ;)
I put a piece of black cloth from my screen to the projector (approximately 10'x8'), and it made a tremendous improvement for me. I originally painted all the walls a dark maroon but left the ceiling white. I probably could have left it this way, but it was apparent the only reflection of light was coming from the ceiling. The black cloth completely eliminated it! As mentioned though, prepare yourself for a stiff neck. :)
I found that painting the 1x1 ceiling tiles black helped give the room more of a theater feel in addition to reducing reflections on the screen. It did take two coats however.
Did you guys use black flat paint? Those of you with a suspended ceiling, are the supports black as well, or just the tile?
When I bought the black Armstrong tiles I was told by my dealer that the black supports only came in lots for 1000 sq ft. There's no way I was buying an extra 700 sq ft of supports so I bought the white supports from home depot and used flat black spray paint to paint then in the garrage before taking them down for hanging. You can see pics in my signature under the theater menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586
Did you guys use black flat paint? Those of you with a suspended ceiling, are the supports black as well, or just the tile?
My ceiling is drywall and I used the flatest black Behr paint I could find.

Stace
Last week I had someone paint my entire theater room including the ceiling with two coats of flat black paint. The main benefit from doing this is the screen now floats in a black void without any light colored distractions to take you away from the screen. This is very cool and the funny thing is I don't recall anyone mentioning this as a benefit of painting a room completely black. I should add that the decision to paint the room black was one of the hardest decisions I ever made. But as soon as I saw the way it looked I loved it and knew I did the right thing.
Painting my whole ceiling black was too much work, so I decided to paint just a small area. Light is reflected off the screen and radiates outward from the screen.

I can cut off most of the light simply by eliminating it closest to the source (screen). I figured that if I painted only 10% of the ceiling black close to the screen, I would have eliminated 80% of the ceiling reflections.

The difference is like night and day! In the picture below, you can even see that the area under the painted ceiling is much darker. Trust me, the contrast is MUCH improved. My screen is a 92" painted wall. Before I painted my ceiling, whenever a bright scene came on, my whole room lit up. Just painting the small section, the improvement was very obvious!

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/6...43small8qe.jpg
Supergoop

Very nice look...I may be able to sell the wife on this. I had been thinking of painting a black triangle pointed from the screen to the pj as that seemed to be the part of my white ceiling that really showed the light. Has anyone used 2X4 black foam panels? I have seen a few usually used for acoustic purposes. I just haven't thought of a way to stick them to the drywall ceiling yet. Wondered if two sided adhesive tape would work...or a stapler. They would be very light weight. Hmmm?
Reactions: 1
Although I love the idea of the screen floating in a black void and have always recognized my NOT having that in my HT as one of the weaknesses of a HT compared to a commercial theater with regard to closing in on the theatrical experience, it usually isn't practical for those of us with combination HT/living rooms to paint our ceilings and walls black.

However, I have seen an interesting fix for the surrounding/overhead light issue in the way PJ manufacturers are now displaying their products in local Costco and Sam's Club warehouses and have been intrigued by the possiblity of applying it to HT.

They set up a small cardboard screen a foot or so from the projector and the screen is rigged with a kind of "visor" running across the top of the screen and down at a tapered angle along the sides. That top edge "visor" works essentially like a baseball cap bill and actually does a remarkable job of reducing washout in these venues that are typically flooded with flourecent lighting.

The shape, look and effect is not unlike what SuperGoop has achieved by painting his ceiling in his pic except that it doesn't jut out as far and it is not on the ceiling but literally running horizontally across the top edge of the screen frame and in a more graduated taper down the sides.

I like your idea, SuperGoop, but I have a high wall and a vaulted ceiling and wouldn't really be able to get away with what you did.

So...I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about doing something like this in a HT set up. The overhanging "visor" idea, I mean. I don't think I would want to do anything heavy like an awning, but some very lightweight but sturdy product that I can paint flat black would probably do the tirck.

Does anyone know of a link for such a product or any DIY suggestions?
See less See more
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.