AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white, 2' x 2' dropped ceiling in my HT. I have recently upgraded from a RPTV to an LCD FP, (Sony HS20). I am getting a Da-Lite HCCV screen and my pj will be ceiling mounted. I intend to paint the back wall burgundy red and install burgundy red velvet drapes around the screen and the first 3 feet of the side walls.

I am considering replacing the ceiling tiles with black tiles. My wife has suggested we replace just the first two rows of tiles with black, instead of the entire room, to keep it from looking so cave-like. As I look at my image in the room, the first two rows of tiles are definitely the brightest lit with reflected light. I suspect that the biggest gain with reducing ambient light will be in these first two rows, with diminishing marginal benefits as tiles are replaced further from the screen. Obviously the biggest benefit would be with replacing all the tiles with black, but my wife doesn't like this idea.

Any thoughts or comments on this approach would be appreciated.

Craig

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
There is a lot to be said about compromise. Why not experiment with 1, 2 and 3 rows. You could also do the first row of the sides and rear black for an effect (ie. Tray).

·
Registered
783 Posts
Is this a dedicated HT? If so, I did my HT in the basement all with Black ceiling tile. At first my girlfriend was a little shocked, but after having it for a few days, she loves it. It really makes the room feel like a theater. And, believe it or not, it makes the ceiling seem to dissappear. You might want to paint the supports a flat black as well. I think with a row or two of black tile with look sort of funny. Almost like a "cave" at the end of the room.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would go with a medium-to-dark grey myself. Will knock back the luminence of a white ceiling and would go with your burgundy wall and drapes as well. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you paint the tiles or can one purchase dark tiles?

·
Registered
783 Posts
You can go to HD and have them special order some black supports and tiles, or what I did was to check USG web site ( www.USG.com ) and got a phone number called them and got the local distributer near me and had them order it and had it delivered to my house!

·
Premium Member
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to HD yesterday and they told me they didn't have access to any black ceiling tiles, even as a special order item. They actually suggested USG. I guess I'll check it out.

BTW, this not a dedicated HT. It's a daylight basement rec room with a pool table behind the HT seating area and a back bar and sliding glass doors to a patio/deck area. I will be installing room darkening shades over the door and window. Also, the ceiling is broken up by the ductwork in the middle of the room. The ductwork is covered in a wood paneling material.

Thanks for the replies.

Craig

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
If you can't find black ceiling tiles, you can try using spray paint.

Do not use a roller, as this will coat and negate the absorbtion ability of an acoustic ceiling tile. But a couple of light sprays with spray paint apparently is ok. (according to Eric).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a tough time finding the USG frost in black around where I live. (Peoria, IL)

After a chat with the a regional USG saleperson, the quantity that I needed (8 dozen) was sourced! She was so very helpful and lined up the deal with a local building materials store who initially told me I needed to order those tiles in enough of a quantity to justify a production run.

I can't say enough good things about her. =-)

George T.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.