AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i havent been in the market for a new tv in awhile. And i am looking to replace that tired 20" 4x3 CRT in the bedroom with a larger screen. and guess what... its black friday time.. and retailers are going crazy selling big screens.

without knowing the cost of the following TVs... do you have any recommendations? just assume that all of these tv's i can afford and would be a really good price. I have ordered these from cheapest to most expensive, but they are all below $1500. I wont say where or how much they cost..really want to stick with 1080p if i am buying new.

Samsung 50” plasma PN50C550 (changed to 1080p) same price

Panasonic 50” plasma P50S2

Panasonic 50” plasma P50G25 better picture than Panasonic “S2” Series

Panasonic 58” plasma P58S2

Samsung 58” plasma PN58C500

LG LED 55” 55LE5400

any i should stay away from? i dont think i can really go wrong with any of these.. but wanted to double check with the experts before i make the plunge.

thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. the Samsung pn50C450 (720p) or Panasonic tc-p50g25 (1080p); the 58"ers will probably be too much for bedroom environment, but if you persists .. the Samsung pn58c500 (1080p).

Overall, recommend Samsung C450 for good, cost-effective buy for a ~12 viewing distance, typically layed-back area of bed.

add: the LG 50pj350 and Samsung pn50c430 also worth considering.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
How far is your bed from the TV? Our is about 12' from headboard to TV and we're moving a 50" (Panasonic TH-50PX75U) there. That's about the viewing distance in our living room and that's where the TV is now. I bought another 50" - the LG 50PK750 - during a phenomenal sale on Amazon.com (well below a grand) and the TV is just stunning, especially watching a Blu ray in the THX mode. That's what's going in the living room where the Panny is now. It was such a good deal that it was almost the same price as the 42" TVs I was looking at.

Definitely check out the LG 50PK550/750/950 series. If you have a MicroCenter near you they have the 550 as a deal. There's also a 60" version of these TVs. I've been seeing the 60" advertised in Black Friday sales. Same for the 58" Panasonic S2.

·
Registered
923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryracer /forum/post/19535788

well i figure if i am going to drop between 800-1500 for a new tv.. it better support blu-ray...!

The 720P sets will support Blu-ray. (No different than the fact that they will down-scale 1080i broadcasts)

1080P is a higher resolution set, but in some cases, you won't really see the difference depending on your distance from the set.

See
http://carltonbale.com/home-theater/...ter-calculator

for a good reference chart on screen size and resolution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm having a hard time deciding between the 58" Panasonic at Sears, and the 58" Samsung at Best Buy myself. Both seem like excellent deals, and get good reviews on the forum, but if one clearly has an edge over the other in any department other then aesthetics, (the Panasonic is pretty large and ugly for a flatscreen) I can't find it.

·
Registered
923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryracer /forum/post/19538836

what is so different that everyone likes the 50PK550 over the 50PK750, when i compare the specs, it appears to be the same panel but the 750 has more ports and netcast.

The 750 adds IPTV functions. If you don't need that, or the USB playback of MP3 and JPEGs, you may also want to check out the LG 50PK250. Same as the 550, minus the USB playback function. Sears has a deal on it this week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just to sort of put a end to this thread, i ended up getting the 50PK250 from Sears that was mentioned by a fellow AVS forum reader. I am not an expert on TVs by any means, but all i can say is "Wow!". I love it.for a 50" tv i got a great price.. I haven't burned it in, not sure if i have a pure white image to display for 2hrs at a time... i havent noticed any IR or line bleeding (yet). I havent noticed any buzzing either!

anyways.. thanks to all the readers who took the time to respond... you know who you are. You helped me get a great deal on a great tv.. and thats what i was looking for.

i also learned a lot.. as i always do when i come here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts