AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all. I was hoping to get your input on this project. I'm in the process of having my basement built out. I want it to be a multipurpose space, including a home theater with front projector. Due to several reasons, I want to go with a white drop ceiling. I plan to frame out the screen wall with black GOM. I've been brainstorming some ideas to have the ceiling area above the screen blacked out as well. I came across the picture above. It's an acoustic panel on a wire suspension. Unfortunately, the company only offers the "island" in white and requires a very large minimum order. I'd like to mimic the look but in a panel covered in black GOM, roughly 10'x5'. It doesn't need to have any special acoustic properties. I'm just using it for the black out purposes. I'd like it to be as lightweight as possible and material appropriate for a can light shining directly above it. What do you think?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy  /t/1471349/black-hanging-ceiling-pa...ke-this-happen-picture-attached#post_23280098

http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/19/01/24/12488.jpg

And some picture hanging wire should do the job.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind for the hanging hardware. Do you have any suggestions about fabrication of the panel? Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow13  /t/1471349/black-hanging-ceiling-pa...ke-this-happen-picture-attached#post_23280191

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind for the hanging hardware. Do you have any suggestions about fabrication of the panel? Thanks!

For me this is the definitive thread on fabric panel building. I used some of these techniques in my build (link in sig)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/487747/fabric-frames

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
If you've not read it, this may help as well. It's not ceiling panel specific, however there's so much helpful information in it.

Also, the Gearslutz forum offers perhaps the best specific advice here , and here , on acoustic treatment panels, clouds, bass trapping, etc.

Best of luck, hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts