Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to go to Bestbuy to purchase this

DVD. Anyone have any issues on the video transfer or sound?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Back on topic, Black Hawk down is on its way to my house, and I've already invited two friends over to watch & listen to it. It was intense in the theater, and we've had veterans of that conflict on this board tell us that it is very nearly the literal truth. I know it's very close to the book. When the DTS version comes out, I'll get that too.

(edited to keep the peace - Larry Davis)

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
count me in for the dts version due perhaps for Christmas. in the meantime, can't resist this edition.

Ridley is a god.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I noticed that the subtitles are not held within the 2.40.:1 window. This will not please people that mask off thier screens/tvs.

Rob

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The transfer has visible edge enhancement. I guess it has to, or the upcoming SuperBit version wouldn't look as improved...

Let's keep our political views out of this thread. Discussing issues raised in a film is one thing, but using the subject as an excuse to grind personal and political axes is not appropriate.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Larry,

You mentioned that "Black Hawk Down" would be offered in a Superbit version. Can you (or someone) provide a link (if one) to furture upcoming Superbit titles? Thanks.:)

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
This is one of the best looking transfers I have seen from Columbia, inclusive of the Superbits discs. The sound mix is exceptional whether DTS or not. The Dolby track on the DVD rocks.

I don't think there was any excessive digital enhancement used on this transfer, at least not to the point of causing "ringing". Two factors might lead one to believe there is edge enhancement. One is the lighting and filters used in this film give a very high contrast look with very bright areas against very deep blacks. that alone on video will often have the appearance of edge enhancement on some displays. Secondly, I know the MPEG encoder used by Sony has a side effect that sometimes makes edges look slightly enhanced, even when no digital enhancement has been applied.

I understand some people's desire to wait for a special edition when one has been announced, as they have for Black Hawk Down. That should be the only deciding factor for someone that actually intendeds to buy this disc. If supplements don't matter, this is a helluva disc as it is.

Obi's Reviews

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Dennis,

I don't think the SuperBit version of BHD has been officially announced (?). But it is supposedly planned for later this year with more supplements and of course a DTS soundtrack.

I'll have more to say about the transfer later.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks Larry, but do you know of a site that may list the upcoming SuperBit titles because an SE version won't sway me to wait just for the extras or even worse.........the "DTS" soundtrack.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got my copy at Bestbuy for $15.99. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. I think, for the price I paid, this is a hell of a buy. I may even buy the DTS version when it's released.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I saw this in the theater and watched the dvd last night. I stumbled across the book of the same name a few years ago and was extremely impressed with it. I really hadn't any awareness of the actual event until that time and the book held my attention until I had finished it. You could feel the fear and frustration that these men must have felt as the short mission just kept going on and on. I will be waiting for the next issue to purchase as I am hoping for a lot of special features with background information. There were a lot of hero's in this action and they deserve recognition.

Regards

Emmett

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I noticed that sometimes Thai subtitles would appear during time and date stamps and text blurbs during the course of the movie, even though subtitles were disabled. Anyone else see this?

TIA

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Do not post your personal, political views in this thread. Do not attack your fellow members for the views they hold. This is not the place to have a political argument. I have already posted one warning. Be advised that any member who crosses the line again will have their account forwarded to David Bott for administrative action. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Deniz,

I don't know if there is any website that specifically tracks SuperBit DVD's. There is the official website and sites like dvdfile.com that post early notice of upcoming releases.

The DVD has an "on the set" featurette. Interesting, but not exhaustive. I get the feeling there is tons more stuff that is being held back for the SE release. Their are also two trailers. One for Spiderman and The One. Spiderman looks great. Deeply saturated colors and anamorphic, with 5.1 sound. Nice treat. The video transfer is very good. I wasn't amazed or awed. There is EE, but it's not jarring. I really noticed it on the outlines of helicopters against the blue sky. This is not an EE free transfer, but it's not a disaster either. Overall very good considering this is a 2.35:1 DVD from Columbia. The transfer does justice to the emerald greens and aqua blues of the film. I saw this film in the theater and the DVD does an excellent job of recreating those colors. The 5.1 DD soundtrack is very effective, but not as clearly defined as I expect from a DTS soundtrack. Is that comparison correct? Time will tell. I still prefer the soundfield of Saving Private Ryan DTS over this soundtrack for immersion. We'll see if this changes when the SuperBit version is released.

When I saw the film in the theater, I was very nervous, almost anxious as I waited for the inevitable conflict. Dramatically, this was a very effective film. Historically, I find it to be essential viewing. Unless you have a personal dislike for war films, I recommend it very highly, in terms of its content and presentation.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just saw the movie. Wow, great presentation. The transfer and audio is exactly what Larry described.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Larry: well said. but indeed, Saving Private Ryan in dts (and AC3 on ld) has put the bar so high, even BHD can't touch it. but very good nonetheless.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'll rent this one...then buy the SB version when it is released....thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Did anyone find a better price than $15.99? I'd buy it at under $15 but would rather rent it and wait for the SB version, thanks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well, I just watched this with three buddies last night. Since I do have a screen with electric masking panels, I setup the screen for 2.35:1 configuration. We quickly realized that the subtitles were showing up below the image on the masking panels.:mad: When will these studios ever learn.:rolleyes:

The Positives

-Wonderful video image (albeit typical CTHV EE)

-Deep black level with great shadow detail

-Reference quality 5.1 sound (turn it up!)

The Negatives

-Extras?

-BHD trailer?

-Special Edition coming later in the year (Negative for this release anyway)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hello:

Also saw the movie last night........video and audio are very good but like previous post......BHD cant come close to SPR in dts. I usually listen to these type of movies 8dbs below reference.......usually 8 db below reference on SPR is rocking the house, but I found BHD to be recorded a little lower, i had to turn it up more than normal. Not complaining just cant compete with SPR. The dialouge i felt was very clean out of the center.....without being harsh during surround activity. Behind Enemy Lines was also very good, but both come in a distant 2nd in both dynamic sound quality and realism. Larry is right SPR set the bar waaaaay high.

John

p.s. what level were you watching BHD......ref level or how much below??

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.