AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! I just watched Black Hawk Down on blu ray last night. PCM 5.1 track was selected. I had my volume on -15db the whole time. I was so looking forward to the bass that I've read is in the film (not the 5Hz scene, my SVS PB-2000 aint touching that). I have everything set up properly, and the sub works just fine. Throughout the film, My PB-2000 barely had any activity sent to it (or maybe not enough as I wanted) Others films fair just fine (Incredible Hulk), but Black Hawk Down didn't have the amount of bass I heard it did. All the machine gun fire and explosions barely gave the subwoofer a workout. Even the gunshots didn't really have any heft or weight to them. I have my crossover at 90Hz. It sounded like the sub was holding back on me.


I know my SVS only produces what is there, but come on! I was expecting awesome bass, but there really was none. Can anyone shed some insight into this? Am I doing something wrong, or is that how the film is supposed to sound??? I'm so disappointed with the bass. The film itself was awesome and the other sound effects and gunshot pans and whatnot were awesome; the bass was just lacking.
It's there, just not as much as I thought I guess.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
The scene in Black Hawk Down which is infamous for bass is the 'F-ing Irene' scene, where you can see here the kind of bass is used. A lot of the bass looks to be right at or maybe just below the tuning point of your sub and much of it is well below the tuning point of your sub. Basically, to do that scene justice you would need a big pile of sealed subs or an infinite baffle system or some Thigpen Rotarys .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1520140/black-hawk-down-disappointed-suggestions#post_24417744


The scene in Black Hawk Down which is infamous for bass is the 'F-ing Irene' scene, where you can see here the kind of bass is used. A lot of the bass looks to be right at or maybe just below the tuning point of your sub and much of it is well below the tuning point of your sub. Basically, to do that scene justice you would need a big pile of sealed subs or an infinite baffle system or some Thigpen Rotarys .

Thanks for the reply! I already knew the F**in Irene scene I wouldn't be able to do justice to with my PB-2000. It's the bass throughout the rest of the movie. Anyone know if the film as a whole is great for bass or just that one scene? The rest of the film seems like not a lot of stuff is sent to the sub, or content I feel should be there with all the .50 cals and other gunshots and explosions. Again, unless its just all too low for my sub to reproduce..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405  /t/1520140/black-hawk-down-disappointed-suggestions/0_50#post_24417871


The rest of the film seems like not a lot of stuff is sent to the sub, or content I feel should be there with all the .50 cals and other gunshots and explosions.

I think you would enjoy Underworld Awakening. The explosions and gun fire is great. With your subs, it should give you plenty of entertainment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS  /t/1520140/black-hawk-down-disappointed-suggestions#post_24418196


I think you would enjoy Underworld Awakening. The explosions and gun fire is great. With your subs, it should give you plenty of entertainment.

Ill def look into it! Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,432 Posts
If you are looking for a movie to watch, based on LFE alone, BHD aint one of them. The Irene scene is great, but that's about the only thing noteworthy for the most part. Many other good choices out there that will do your PB justice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
If you want bass, war of the worlds and cloverfield will do nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
If you're not satisfied with the low end impact, raise the sub channel gain in your AVR until you're happy. Bumping the gain up 6 - 8 dB can make a huge improvement over running it flat IMO.


If that doesn't help, get an OmniMic or REW and measure the response. Perhaps there's a big null at your MLP? If the frequency response looks bad you may need to try other locations for the sub. Re-run Audyssey or other room EQ after any sub relocation. Reset speaker sizes (Small), crossovers (80 Hz), and sub channel gain (+ 6-8 dB) after every re-EQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1520140/black-hawk-down-disappointed-suggestions#post_24418682


If you are looking for a movie to watch, based on LFE alone, BHD aint one of them. The Irene scene is great, but that's about the only thing noteworthy for the most part. Many other good choices out there that will do your PB justice.

This is the response I was looking for. Thank you! Bluray.com said that bass lovers will love BHD, but you're saying BHD isn't a movie to watch strictly for LFE other than the Irene scene. I guess the blu ray.com review hyped me too much that my expectations for the lfe channel were way high. Cuz yes, there is not really a noteworthy scene in the whole film as far as LFE goes (at least that my sub could reproduce). O well. I thought maybe something was off in my setup or sub since I wasn't hearing or feeling anything impressive from the sub during the whole film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3  /t/1520140/black-hawk-down-disappointed-suggestions#post_24419203


If you're not satisfied with the low end impact, raise the sub channel gain in your AVR until you're happy. Bumping the gain up 6 - 8 dB can make a huge improvement over running it flat IMO.


If that doesn't help, get an OmniMic or REW and measure the response. Perhaps there's a big null at your MLP? If the frequency response looks bad you may need to try other locations for the sub. Re-run Audyssey or other room EQ after any sub relocation. Reset speaker sizes (Small), crossovers (80 Hz), and sub channel gain (+ 6-8 dB) after every re-EQ.
[



That was my problem. I thought my sub was in a bad spot or broken or something, but playing music and other movies the sub sounds as good as it first did when I hooked it up. Its in the right spot and set up to my liking. I wanna get REW running someday, but don't really need/want it right now.


The BHD soundtrack just doesn't have noteworthy bass besides the Irene scene which bass addict confirmed for me. Total bummer. That movie is a HUGE missed opportunity in my book as far as LFE is concerned. The whole movie is just one big action scene basically, and the lack of a pristine/ top tier LFE track just sucks!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
In real life, many those kind of guns don't have a lot of bass. I suppose the helicopters would have a lot of bass, but I haven't heard a gun which used regular 5.56 or 7.62 which ever went 'boom'. They were loud, but not bassy. I don't know about the 50 cal mounted guns or RPGs or any of the other heavy guns though. Maybe someone with military experience can chime in here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness  /t/1520140/black-hawk-down-disappointed-suggestions/0_50#post_24419817


As former Infantry let me tell you the .50 cal Ma Duece definitely has bass. I'm not gonna lie it damn near gave me a boner everytime I shot it.


Sandman 

That might explain why you never get invited over for a "Black Hawk Down movie night"...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
The .50 cal in real life will probably dig the lowest. Gun shots are generally not that low anyway. Movies tend to exaggerate the bass in them anyway. I will admit that it sounds awesome though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov  /t/1520140/black-hawk-down-disappointed-suggestions#post_24419869


The .50 cal in real life will probably dig the lowest. Gun shots are generally not that low anyway. Movies tend to exaggerate the bass in them anyway. I will admit that it sounds awesome though

I love the exaggerated bass in guns for movies. Taken for example. I was shocked at how powerful those handguns sounded
haha. A movie like Black Hawk Down I guess went realistic with their gun sounds, and there's nothing wrong with that, but as a surround sound and home theater lover, I just wished they added some more heft and weight to the gunshots, especially the .50 cals for us to enjoy. I enjoy action scenes more and It immerses me into the action more when I get that impact from gunshots in movies. It sounds awesome when done right.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gov

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405  /t/1520140/black-hawk-down-disappointed-suggestions#post_24419525


The BHD soundtrack just doesn't have noteworthy bass besides the Irene scene which bass addict confirmed for me. Total bummer. That movie is a HUGE missed opportunity in my book as far as LFE is concerned. The whole movie is just one big action scene basically, and the lack of a pristine/ top tier LFE track just sucks!

This is exactly what I thought after buying and watching BHD about a month ago.....I was quite disappointed in the LFE.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Batman61405
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top