AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow up to a post i just read about BHD's grainyness, i dont know how it got put in tier 0...i should start a petition to get it in at tier 1 at best ...just kidding

but seriously its not the best picture, of all the movies i have its the one i least like to show off because the picture is nothing THAT spectacular and the 5.1 is surprisingly weak for a movie of this caliber...i was expecting to hear helicopter wings in all directions and was disappointed.

I much prefer Underworld, its much louder, the thunderstorms are loud and booming around you. Plus the picture is very sharp

BHD has great closeups, but its very very grainy and while i know exactly that this is directors intent...it wouldve been enjoyable to see a little bit more grain-less per say?

as for the 5.1, please dont harass me for not having a 7.1 receiver with HDMI support because lets face it, one can only afford so much even though i would LOVE to have one.

I hate to rant, but i also like to bring this up to hear some opinions because this movie is ranked incredibly high on the picture scale and i truly believe of all the movies i have seen it is not spectacular. I have Speed and might be able to say i enjoy that picture a little more.

Other than that, everyone have a nice Sunday and lets take advantage of that Buy one get one free at Best Buy!!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
How do you have your Blu Ray player hooked up to your receiver?

I actually thought that the LPCM track is pretty impressive. As far as the grainy look, that is the way it was intended to be.

·
Registered
16,893 Posts
You must not be set up correctly. The LPCM track, though not 24 bit (rats!), is one of the best out there in terms of a holosonic 360 degree sound field. Children of Men should also be quite good if mastered properly. That has some very creative sound mixing to be sure. It's far more aggressive in nature than BHD (it harkens back to the day when we had directionalized dialog rather than a mono blob and it even steers dialog to the surrounds), but BHD is more atmospheric rather than bombastic.

Dan

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Except that Children of Men is from Universal, so you won't be seeing it on BD.

BHD will be one of the first movies I rent when I manage to find a 20 gigger at a local BB. I've heard it's great so I have some high expectations myself.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
My rant is that Tier 0 to me is considered the best of the best of the best. Only a select few would ever be in that tier while the most should be in Tier 1.

I agree that the grain at the beginning should take it out of Tier 0 and into Top of Tier 1.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i do not have an HDMI capable receiver....so i cannot use the Linear PCM track. All i have is a 5.1 receiver that has a optical cable so i can get dolby digital 5.1

From what i heard i cannot use the PCM track because optical cables only allow the PCM to use 2 speakers?

Anyone clarify for me?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman35 /forum/post/0

BHD has great closeups, but its very very grainy and while i know exactly that this is directors intent...it wouldve been enjoyable to see a little bit more grain-less per say?

I hate to rant, but i also like to bring this up to hear some opinions because this movie is ranked incredibly high on the picture scale and i truly believe of all the movies i have seen it is not spectacular. I have Speed and might be able to say i enjoy that picture a little more.

----------------------------

TIER 0- A deeply immersive experience. Flawless or near flawless transfers.

The Wild (PCM)

Crank (PCM)(IME)

Kingdom of Heaven (MA)
Black Hawk Down (BW)(PCM)

Ice Age: The Meltdown (MA)

Corpse Bride

The Ant Bully

--------------------------------

Makes me wonder who is ranking these films? I see over and over about how BD is grainy compared to HD and that "the director wanted it that way or its more film like". And that HD is more pristine and not film like.

This is a turnoff for BD in my mind.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^^^ disagree...black hawk down is the one grainy movie i have seen

every other movie is sharp. i have both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and prefer Blu-Ray by a good margin. HD-DVD is not as crisp in my opinion. The distance shots in the few movies i have seen have been very poor. The closeups are good but not as good as say Crank for BD.

When i go to the store Blu-Ray looks far more appealing to my wallet than an HD-DVD. Not to mention that there are no exclusives at all for HD DVD anymore it seems. Not only will exclusives give Blu-Ray a HUGE boost above HD DVD, in the end the decision will be between picking a BD version or HD DVD for many movies. I choose Blu-Ray over HD DVD in that catagory.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:

^^^^^ disagree...black hawk down is the one grainy movie i have seen

every other movie is sharp. i have both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and prefer Blu-Ray by a good margin. HD-DVD is not as crisp in my opinion. The distance shots in the few movies i have seen have been very poor. The closeups are good but not as good as say Crank for BD.

When i go to the store Blu-Ray looks far more appealing to my wallet than an HD-DVD. Not to mention that there are no exclusives at all for HD DVD anymore it seems. Not only will exclusives give Blu-Ray a HUGE boost above HD DVD, in the end the decision will be between picking a BD version or HD DVD for many movies. I choose Blu-Ray over HD DVD in that catagory.

BHD is exactly how the movie was in THEATRE !

BHD is transparent to the SOURCE so it is exactly as director wanted....

not each movie will be like HDTV TV BROADCAS clean and without grain......

Crank was shot DIGITALY, so yes its perfectly CLEAN.... as should be any movie shot digitaly...

Marek

·
Registered
5,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM /forum/post/0

BHD is exactly how the movie was in THEATRE !

BHD is transparent to the SOURCE so it is exactly as director wanted....

not each movie will be like HDTV TV BROADCAS clean and without grain......

Crank was shot DIGITALY, so yes its perfectly CLEAN.... as should be any movie shot digitaly...

Marek

The Tier system is NOT to judge how well it is original, but how beautiful looking it is. Some people are getting this confused when talking Tier system.

I love BHD as a movie and for the most part has awesome PQ. However the few beginning scenes it was shot grainy and thats why I believe it should get a Tier 1 instead of a Tier 0.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber /forum/post/0

The Tier system is NOT to judge how well it is original, but how beautiful looking it is. Some people are getting this confused when talking Tier system.

I love BHD as a movie and for the most part has awesome PQ. However the few beginning scenes it was shot grainy and thats why I believe it should get a Tier 1 instead of a Tier 0.

so if director take a grainy movie stock for his shoting, because he want such grainy movie feeling....... it should be taken out of top spot because it is NOT CLEAN AS POSSIBLE ?

HIGH DEFINITION IS TO HAVE PERFECT COPY OF MOVIE AS DIRECTOR WANTED...

- OAR

- PICTURE transparent to the SOURCE

- DolbyTrueHD, DTS HD MASTER or PCM soundtrack...

Marek

·
Registered
7,878 Posts

Quote:

i do not have an HDMI capable receiver....so i cannot use the Linear PCM track. All i have is a 5.1 receiver that has a optical cable so i can get dolby digital 5.1

From what i heard i cannot use the PCM track because optical cables only allow the PCM to use 2 speakers?

Anyone clarify for me?

Yes, using optical without an HDMI connection is the only way to get 5.1. Unless you can use analog outs. However, your comments on the sound you heard through this connection and not being impressed makes me wonder. I am currently shopping for a new processor, and right now am stuck using optical myself. I just took this movie out of the player, so it's fresh on my mind. I realize that we are probably using different equipment, but to me, this movie sounds fantastic through optical; A smooth high end, absolute bone rattling bass, yet everything has a refined characteristic to it. I wouldn't hesitate using certain scenes as "show off" material. Different ears, I guess.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM /forum/post/0

so if director take a grainy movie stock for his shoting, because he want such grainy movie feeling....... it should be taken out of top spot because it is NOT CLEAN AS POSSIBLE ?

HIGH DEFINITION IS TO HAVE PERFECT COPY OF MOVIE AS DIRECTOR WANTED...

- OAR

- PICTURE transparent to the SOURCE

- DolbyTrueHD, DTS HD MASTER or PCM soundtrack...

Marek

Amen!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The grain is meant to add to the grittiness of the situation. Like the choices of music, the look manipulates the emotional response to the film.

Ridley wasn't trying to create a colourful feel good film here.

Alas, the reaction to this spectacular release is another reason for fearing whether mass adoption will be achievable without digital cleaning and full frame to please the masses.

Gary

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.