AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had bought a black-faced DVD player to match my black case, only to find out it gave me all sorts of stuttering. So I sprung for a slotted Pioneer 120s, which gives great performance, but of course, came only in beige. Does anyone know of a safe way to turn this puppy to all black. I'm guessing black spray paint isn't a good way to go, though with a little masking tape in just the right spots...

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Spray painting is not an issue. Following a recommendation from a professional PC customizer I used some regular car spray paint from my local auto supply store to paint a couple of DVD players silver. Make sure you apply it in several THIN layers. This stuff is very low in viscosity... And of course thorough masking is not a bad idea, either :D

______

Axel

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I painted (dyed) the front panel of my DVD and Floppy drive. No problem, it's easy.

PePBoys sells paint (dye), specially formulated for plastic or vinyl. Just follow the directions on the can.

The front panel of the DVD drive should "pop off" with a little persuasion. Study the front panel, you should be able to figure out how it's attached to the drive body.

·
Registered
202 Posts
also, at the risk of stating the obvious, make sure you REMOVE THE FACEPLATE FROM THE DRIVE before trying to spray paint it. it's usually pretty simple, just a matter of unhooking a couple of latches and slipping it off.

not trying to sound condescending, but the membership of the board goes from power-user to "where's the power button"-user, so better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gongzero
also, at the risk of stating the obvious, make sure you REMOVE THE FACEPLATE FROM THE DRIVE before trying to spray paint it. it's usually pretty simple, just a matter of unhooking a couple of latches and slipping it off.

not trying to sound condescending, but the membership of the board goes from power-user to "where's the power button"-user, so better safe than sorry.
I actually spray painted them without removing the face plates.... I could not get the face plates off and was concerned to break those latches..

In the beginning I had the very same concerns, but relied on the recommendation of this PC mod professional. However, I tried it on an old broken CDRom first, before applying it to the “Couple $100 DVD burnerâ€. No problems here! Again, the spray paint has to be applied carefully and in THIN layers (and of course the tray has to be closed…)

Try at your own risk, though…

_____

Axel

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think CompUSA sells faceplates for some popular optical drives.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I did my slot-load, used Dupli color vinyl and fabric dye. Great stuff. It is best if you remove the faceplate, it is pretty easy to do. Either mask or remove the clear plastic lens for your light, and on the slot loaders there is a flelt-lke liner for the slot. This needs to be removed or carefully taped off. Otherwise it might scratch your DVD's.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just used a black Sharpie. Worked great, and fast too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depending on the make and model of the cdr drive you might be able to find a replacement faceplate on a pc mod site that is made in black. I know my uncle was looking for a few replacement black bezels for some of his drives and found a site that not only sodl them, but they were injected molded. Meaning it wouldnt wear off like paint might after alot of use. I'll look for the site he used. Ither way, good luck and be carefull, hehe.

-matt

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with pretty much everyone else. Buy one made for your drive for $15 or go to Pep Boys and grab a can of vinyl dye and dDIY for $5. Not to mention any other drive you purchase. Check out computer enthusiast sites (ok, fine, modding sites) for more info and probably a dozen how-tos.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I tried a sharpie once. Just don't. It rubbed right off after a week.

The other thing modders use is the Krylon Fusion spraypaint. It's made to stick to plastic so isn't supposed to chip or peel. And as others said, remove the faceplate before spraying.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I used vinyl dye from the auto parts store. Do a search on google and you will find instrictions on how to remove the faceplate.

I dyed a Pioneer 104 DVD-R and it looks great.

It's a good thing to learn because all the cheap deals on optical drives are for the beige but we all want black.

Clay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.