AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just built a new HTPC with an i3 for my samsung plasma. I bought the DVE disc to do some basic calibration, and tried it out last night. At first, I had a problem with the PLUGE pattern because the BTB band would not show at all, regardless of how high I increased the brightness. The DVE disc assumed I could see it, so I increased the brightness by 10% in the intel driver utility, at which point I could then see it. The same thing happened with the white, where I could not see the wtw colors without decreasing the contrast on the video drivers. Is this normal?

Also, I recall the DVE disc said to increase the brightness until the BTB bar was barely visible, but I've read that you want that bar just to the point where it disappears, and the same for white. Which is correct? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
don't do this.

BTB and WTW will be clipped on a PC because it needs to make video black 16 and PC black 0 the same value.

I don't know what options the intel drivers provide for adjusting the levels coming out of the PC, or if you have a standalone player you could use for comparision.

What you want is either everything from the PC coming to the TV with black at 0 or everything going to the TV with black at 16. If you have the PC going through a reciever so that a single input on the TV is shared between a cable box and the HTPC you only want black at 16.

I believe anything that has an actual HDMI plug on it these days will automatically take desktop black (0) and output that at 16 on HDMI.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
So to be clear, never touch the brightness/contrast sliders in your dirver.

Calibrate from a known source like a standalone DVD/BD player.

Then confirm that the PC matches the known device.

Basically all PC's are unkown for what they output and can't be considered a reference soure to calibrate from.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately my DVE disc is bluray, and I don't have a standalone player. My HTPC is going straight to the TV right now since I don't have a receiver at the moment. If I don't modify the PC's brightness, then no matter what I do on the TV I cannot see the BTB bar on DVE.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHaklee3 /forum/post/18272827

Unfortunately my DVE disc is bluray, and I don't have a standalone player. My HTPC is going straight to the TV right now since I don't have a receiver at the moment. If I don't modify the PC's brightness, then no matter what I do on the TV I cannot see the BTB bar on DVE.

BTB is not important to see.

It's only used to help you know what you shouldn't see.

focus then on the 4% bar to make sure that one is visible, but only just barely.

A check with even a DVD player and a disc that has the THX optimizer on it would be a decent reference to know what is going on with levels.

What you are doing raising things up and then lowering them back down will cause serious issues with other kinds of content.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts