AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Just got my E80 today and am already copying my VHS stuff to the HD for archival to DVD-R later (I'm using a Sony VCR with a RCA-composite hookup). However, I'm wondering if the default input black level (I think it's set to Darker) is the way to go. Anybody have any experience with this? I've looked through the forums and I see references to setting black levels when dealing dubbing from an HS2 but not from VHS.

Btw, thank god for this forum! The manual SUCKS and the interface isn't exactly replete with clues about what does this or that. It's a lot of reading, but well worth it. Thanks to all those people who devote their time and expertise.

Later,

-Chris

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I'd prefer the input black level setting which delivers the best product across platforms - not just when playing back on Panasonics. It makes sense that the default input level would be Darker when the default output level is Lighter (they cancel out), but what happens when you play that video back on, say, a Sony which doesn't give you an output black level option? It'll be interesting to see.

Thanks again,

-Chris

· Registered
298 Posts
The input settings mean:

Darker (default): 7.5 IRE video is encoded at 16 digital

Lighter: 0 IRE video is encoded at 16 digital

The playback settings mean:

Darker: 16 digital is output at 0 IRE

Lighter (default): 16 digital is output at 7.5 IRE

If your display is calibrated for your player output level, all that is important is that the input black level matches the black level of the source.

The standard in North America is 7.5 IRE, although that seems to be changing to 0 IRE with DTV.

Hope that helps.

David

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed that does help. Thanks.

OK, so you're probably in the industry (I left about ten years ago) and are probably tech savvy to all this crap, so maybe you can answer a new question of mine, I just transferred some stuff from VHS via an RCA composit connection and it's pretty nice. Much better than the original. To me, this thing obviousy has some kind of TBC on board to clean stuff up, do you know if it's full frame (in realation to another thread)? (I could be wrong, this stuff is now trivia to me, but some kind of correction is going on - much like when I'd run things through a very expensive TBC at work.)

Oh, how nice it is to be free of VHS! A decade ago people called me a snob when I'd complain about VHS after coming off a day of seeing things on digital beatacam displayed on an $800K HD monitor but now they're finally getting a taste.

Thanks,

-Chris

· Registered
298 Posts
No, not in the industry, I simply spent a few months last year communicating with an engineer at Panasonic about the issue. Most of what I know I learned from videojanitor, dr1394, and others here who had test equipment and expertise to help understand the problem. It's because of them that the new models have the option to select input black level.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the time base corrector, other than that you are correct in thinking that there is one on the input.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.