AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, all of you 75u users....We need more setup posts!!

I got my 75u two days ago and temporarily set it up on a child's desk. I stapled an old white bedsheet to the wall (complete with stains) and connected my Panasonic RP56. I waited till nightime (I have a window that's yet to be framed over in my currently under construction HT).

First Night, I watched SHREK. Absolutely amazing vivid colors, IMO. I tried to see the "No Black LCD" phenomenon. On Lord Farquars (sp?) Hair, it was midnight oily black...I don't see how it could be any blacker. All settings were straight out of the box, Standard mode, High Lumens and mistakenly on 525i from the panny (I didn't notice that I didn't have the progressive button pushed in). NO screendoor from 1.2x viewing distance (8' wide bed sheet). No masking. The sheet is transparent enough that I could see the studs behind it, but not bad enough not to watch.

Last Night, I watched Planet of the Apes. I wanted to test the darkness issues. This time, I switched the RP56 to progressive, changed the projector to Natural mode, and put it on low lumens. Still a great picture, IMO. With so many varying grades of black, white and gray, I could now see a little loss of contrast compared to the Digital SHREK. BUT, this is on a transparent bed sheet with no masking, no filter, no nada. I haven't adjusted brightness, contrast, or anything. I could easily live with this picture and I think most friends/family/neighbors would be in awe.

Anyway, past the little mini-review, I want MORE input from fellow 75u owners. I know you are out there. Stop watching movies a second and speak up.

SCREEN: I can't see buying a $600 dollar Da-Lite or a $1200 Stewart. At least not now, until I get much more time under my belt. I plan on projecting 9' wide, and I'm thinking of going with the black out material stretched over a frame. Either that or order a 5x10 sheet of parkland. I really want the 9' so the Da-Lite model B is out. So, what are all the other 75u owners doing?

FILTER: I've read a couple of posts on filter usage. One owner has the 55mm Hoya Double Coat. Anybody else? What experiences have you had?

SETTINGS: MOST IMPORTANT: What is everyone running your projector at. I think there are two camps....RP56 users and HTPC users. Let's here some setup info and reasons why you ended up there. Just watching two movies with no AVIA calibration, all I've done is change from High to Low Power mode and from Standard to Natural PJ setting. I don't have AVIA, but I think my T2 disk has some THX calibration stuff on it, so I might play around with that tonight.

I'd like everyone to contribute, and maybe we can consolodate the info into a FAQ 75u thread that's a bit more structured than the other one Safaa started.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It sounds as though you are very happy with the picture as it is. A light gray screen with velvet black masking will work wonders. Apart from that don't tweak as it's a never ending quest once you start...

Stop looking at the picture and start watching the movie....

To many people on this forum are far too concerned about picture quality to ever get involved in the movie, sadly, me included.

GB

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robertmee
NO screendoor from 1.2x viewing distance (8' wide bed sheet)
So you were less than 10' away? Is the pj in sharp focus so you can see pixel structure when you're right next to the screen?

I see screendoor on my PT-LC75U from 2x away. In a 16' deep room with the couch on the back wall & the screen on the front (let's call it 14' screen-to-eye) on my 16:9 screen from a regular 4x8 Parkland sheet (call it 7'), I can see a grid of black lines separating pixels in brightly lit areas. Easily.

A teensy bit of defocussing smears it to be invisible at that distance while keeping the resolution up according to the Avia test patterns. That makes sense as I'm wiping out information at 768 lines & above (1024 / (4/3)) but the DVD is only 540 lines (720 / (4/3)). Hi-def sources would lose some resolution from defocussing.

---

My screen has a painted matte black 2" wide border & the wall behind is off white. The spill above & below the 16:9 screen is distracting with the lights out. I may try covering the wall with black velvet or something, but for now, a little more ambient light seemed to make the image pop a bit more.

---

I've played a bit with brightness & contrast, but haven't done the full Avia

thing yet. I have an RP56, so I won't have individual R, G & B control.

---

The worst thing I've seen so far was "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" on Talking Heads' _Stop Making Sense_. The auditorium is almost completely black 'cause they're showing slides on the back wall during the song, but there's a floor lamp on stage. The blacks showing up grey are pretty irritating & the closeups of Byrne when he tips the lamp over & half the screen is looking down the inside of the shade (bright!) shows off screendoor.

A little ambient light & defocussing saves it pretty well.

-M

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
morgan,

I played around some more today, albeit with a bit of ambient light...I hung some blankets over the window, so it was fairly dark, but not completely. I don't have avia, so I used the video setup on the T2 DVD. I raised contrast a bit, lowered brightness, raised color a small amount and left tint pretty much alone. Maybe it's my eyes or I haven't looked at enough varying sources, yet, but Screendoor is not there at 10'. Definitely not there at 16' or even at 12'. I pulled up the T2 text page and focused until the letters were as sharp as possible. At about 8', I can see the pixel structure on brighter scenes. Closer, I can see it on everything. If I start to back away, but keep my eyes focused on the pixels, I can probably make them out to about 10' to 12'. But usually only on a freezed frame. With normal movie motion, I can't concentrate on an area long enough to really see it. Of course, I only have 20/30 vision as I had laser surgery about 3 years ago. Maybe that's the issue?

We're going to watch another movie tonight...I'll try varying seating positions to see what I can see ;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have mine against a 92" wide homemade screen with blackout cloth, I use the natural mode and low lumens, I love the image. The screen was really easy to make 75 bucks or so into materials depending on fabric, but I'm happy. Now I just need to get it ceiling mounted.

Josh

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the 75U matched with a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision. Before setting up the screen, I was projecting onto a cream colored wall. With the HCCV screen, the difference is like night and day. Blacks are blacker, at least to the point where I don't have a problem with them. As someone else mentioned, the colors and overall picture is just so much better with the HCCV. Maybe it's mental and I'm weak minded, but I'm very pleased with the picture. Regarding blacks, they are not distracting to me within the picture, but the black bars above and below are not truly black, but dark grey. They are noticeable.

I also bought a 55mm Hoya double coated FLD filter. It's great that it screws right into the lens. I put the filter on and watched A.I. and the Matrix. I was very pleased with the improvement. There seemed to be better contrast and a bit darker picture. It was filmlike. Watching A.I., I almost forgot I was at home!!! I didn't try comparing scenes with filter and without. I'm sick of trying this and trying that. I want to enjoy movies now, and the picture I was seeing with the filter was what I spent all this money for.:D

I briefly tried Avia to set blackness and contrast. It didn't seem to do a thing. Black level according to Avia was way to bright when watching a movie. Maybe Avia is made for CRT's, but I found it to be useless for setting contrast and blackness on the 75U.

The last modification I'm going to do after ceiling mounting it this weekend (I bought the Peerless ceiling mount kit for 75U) is to put up mattes (?). While watching a 2.35 movie on my 100" 4:3 screen, the black bars above and below the picture are distracting because they aren't truly black. I watch movies in a dark dark basement and the black bars are very noticeable. Black cloth on the screen should make those bars unnoticeable.

By the way, I bought a 4:3 screen because the 100" 4:3 screen gives a 92" 16:9 area. This was actually cheaper than buying a 92" 16:9 screen. Go figure!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I forgot to add that the filter also reduced screendoor.

With the projector focused sharply, I could notice screendoor sitting about 12' away wearing my super duper telescopic glasses. With the filter on, I don't see screendoor anymore.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm still in tweaking / experimenting mode. I can't wait to get a good screen, masking and the room painted a darker color. My settings vary with which screen material I'm trying ( grey fabric DIY needs more brighness etc.) but I'm tending toward boosted contrast (on the PJ, dynamic mode + a little menu contrast boost), and from the DVD player (tosh sd 9200). For skin tones and warmer look I mostly have the color temp on low. Most viewing on standard (economy) mode. I suspect once the right screen is in place I will settle/adjust down abit on the contrast brightness thing. I don't have AVia yet. Brief DVD play off my Mac G4 seemed to noticably reduce screedoor. I'll pick up a FLD filter soon.

vincanity

Is there any downside to the HCCV? I've got five little sample squares and it's very hard to tell. Every little ripple on the samples causes distortion and I even think it may increase appearance of screen door. I also see more of what I think is temporal dithering on the samples (color splotchy-nes and shifing) in dark areas but that also may be due to picture movement over the ripples in the sample. Other times I think I see increased depth and more vibrant color. I think a full screen properly streched flat would yeild much better results but I can't do this with out buying one. Dave Bugg also loves this screen w/ his 75U by the way, and posted a review a few weeks ago.

-Noam

AofM, While the toy is new and until I decide on set up and screen I've just got to tweak. I hope to get past this stage one day soon. Swearing off the forum for a little while may help at that point.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bonedog:

I don't see any downside to the HCCV. If I put my nose right up to the screen, I can see some creases, or small white spots. I thought about returning the screen due to these imperfections, but decided not to, since I don't watch movies that close. I'm sick and tired of being overly critical. I just want to watch movies now.

I have a permwall setup for the screen, with velco fastening to join the screen to the frame. The HCCV MUST be stretched out. From my viewing distince, I don't notice the creases anymore. I'm hopeful that over time, the creases will work themselves out.

Thanks to this forum, I took an educated gamble on the HCCV.

I'm not a videophile by any means. I don't understand what temporal dithering is. All I know is that for me, the search is over.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bonedog
....Is there any downside to the HCCV? I've got five little sample squares and it's very hard to tell. Every little ripple on the samples causes distortion and I even think it may increase appearance of screen door. I also see more of what I think is temporal dithering on the samples (color splotchy-nes and shifing) in dark areas but that also may be due to picture movement over the ripples in the sample. Other times I think I see increased depth and more vibrant color. I think a full screen properly streched flat would yeild much better results but I can't do this with out buying one. Dave Bugg also loves this screen w/ his 75U by the way, and posted a review a few weeks ago.
Hi bonedog,

Now that I've had the 75U / HCCV setup running for awhile now, I am still VERY enthusiastic about the combination; I think it is a great matchup. I still haven't compared the Firehawk, and I probably won't get the chance to do so. But I think Dalite has a winner with the HCCV.

To all:

The only downside for me is the fact that the HCCV is not available in a manual roll-down system. The screen material is a tough, lightweight and somewhat stretchy material that --- as many have said --- requires tensioning. The Permwall frame and HCCV material together probably weigh no more than 20 - 25 pounds (that's with a 92" x 52" viewable surface size). For my logistical setup, I can't permanently mount the Permwall; the screen has to be put into place over my TV. So, in order to use the projector, I have to carry the screen from the connecting hallway, where I keep it covered between uses, and then place the screen onto two hooks where it will hang, like a picture, covering the TV. When movie time is over, I have to take the Permwall down, carry it back into the hallway, and then re-cover it. I have tried to come up with a way of reducing the setup time --- things like having it swing up flat to the ceiling --- but something else always interferes with the work around. Things like WAF. And at this point, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is running out of patience with a big screen residing in our hallway:rolleyes:

At this point, the hassle of setting up the screen is reducing the amount of movie watching that I want to do, so I'm getting ready to install a matte white (1.1 gain) 92"x52" Dalite Model B manual rollup. I'll be spending time deciding this weekend if the convenience and better WAF of the rollup will offset what I consider to be a noticeably better screening surface.

The Firehawk is available in a manual rollup, but at more than double the cost of the Permwall version of the HCCV. In fact, the Firehawk is double the cost of BOTH the Permwall and the Model B rollup combined.

If I decide that I can't live with the Model B, then I will be keeping the HCCV and be putting up with the objections of SWMBO. If I decide that I CAN live with the Model B, then I will be putting the HCCV up for sale:(

For those interested in purchasing the HCCV, if I decide to sell it, send me a PM. I will be selling it at a significant reduction from my purchase price.

Dave

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vincanity
I'm not a videophile by any means. I don't understand what temporal dithering is. . . .
I'm not sure what it is either but it sounds more impressive than splotchy-ness, dosen't it?;)

Thanks Dave and vincanity for passing on the details. Dave it will be great to get your comparisson on the model B and the HCCV. SWMBO over here would prefer a pull down as well. I'm getting a very good image on an old Da-lite portable pull down I got at a rumage sale (the Video-A) for $10. Matt white on a black backing. It's a bit to small and funky for the permenatnt screen however. -bd

By the way, prefect has designed a very trick frame for his HCCV that I think he intends to swing down off he ceiling. pic.s are posted in the screen forum or search under user name prefect.

·
Registered
485 Posts
hi vincanity-

what is the "Peerless cieling mount kit for the 75u"? how much was it? do you like it? i am thinking about doing my own ceiling mount because the one made by panny is so expensive. if there is a less expensive alternative, i am open to suggestions.

thanks,

-zak

·
Registered
318 Posts
Zak:

The ceiling mount I purchased is made by Peerless Industries. It consists of a ceiling plate, adjustable column, joint thing-a-ma-jig to adjust angle, and the 75 U projector plate. Be careful, as if you order just the "ceiling mount kit", you won't get ceiling plate or the adjustable column!!!

I haven't got it setup yet, but hope to do it this weekend. It's pretty heavy, hopefully the contraption won't fall on my head!

I purchased it for around $450 Canadian (sure beats the Panasonic ceiling mount kit, for $700+).

You can check Peerless' website for pricing. Here are the parts I ordered, with US pricing:

ACC 570 $ 19.00 - Ceiling Plate

ADJ 012018 $ 94.00 - Adjustable column 12" - 18"

PJC 124 - $216.00 - Vector Pro Mount with plate for 75U

TOTAL - $329

If you are a do-it-yourself'er, you could buy a ceiling plate and column from Home Depot. Personally, I'd rather just get the certified parts and be done with it.

Hope that helps.

The website for Peerless is:

http://www.peerlessindustries.com/ve...anasonicvp.htm

·
Registered
297 Posts
Chief also makes a mount fro the 75U. I ordered it for about $160 on line.

·
Registered
485 Posts
bonedog-

now we're talking! how are you going to mount it? flush with the ceiling? i would have to bring it down a bit, but it should work for me.

thanks,

-zak

·
Registered
297 Posts
I want to rig a channel with a sliding plate and some kind of locking cam? This would be to augment the zoom and go smaller for cable watching etc. I'm not sure if I'll bother though , we'll see. You can easily bring the chief down. It mounts flush or is made to drop down with a pipe extention.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.