AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering something. Does anyone know what the black level settings under the system display settings do? Its got standard/intermediate/expanded. Does it effect anything at all on games or is it ONLY for playing movies (which i never do on it) I just left it on standard. I fliped back and forth between standard and expanded abut didnt seem to notice much of a difference. At least just looking at the dashboard.

It might be worth mentioning that i have it hooked up via component cables (older model) and outputing at 1080p to a sony KDS-60A3000

I know on the PS3 you can set the RGB to limited or full in the options. Limited seems to basically do the same thing as turning it to full if your tv supports it. If your TV doesn't have RGB full then it crushes blacks. However i have no idea what this particular setting on the xbox does, or if its something similar. I do know that when i went to play a movie it looked quite crappy and washed out so i never messed with it again. I just use my DVD player and PS3

so whats up with this setting? Should i just leave it on standard and forget about it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Black Level settings only take effect if your XBOX 360 is hooked up via VGA. Since yours is connected via component leave it set at Standard.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Check out this thread if you want to know how it works in more detail.

With your set I would highly recommend going with VGA instead, unless you know your TV does VGA poorly. My TV had a significantly improved display going from 1080p component to 1080p VGA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts