AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the black levels from a FPJ compare to RPTV? Recently I got a Sony 50" GWIII set (uses LCD) and I'm not very impressed with the black levels or black crush, especially on dark movies/scenes like Blade II. Bright scenes look great but some scene detail is lost to the black crush levels (shadow areas). After this experience I don't think a LCD FPJ will give me what I'm looking for but a DLP flavor could be what the Dr. ordered if I don't see rainbows. But if I go with a DLP FPJ, like the BenQ 6100 or soon to be available 6200, how will the blacks look compared to the Sony RPTV? Will there be black crush as well and will "black" look "black"? One thing that bothered me with the GWIII is that the darker the lighting in the room was the worse the black levels/crush looked. I just hope that a FPJ would be better then this. If not, I'll have to take a look at Gateway's 56" DLP RPTV, which is double to three times the cost of the BenQ's. I guess that's the price to pay for being able to view your video during the day? I just can't see paying over 4K for the Samsung...nice set but please 4K for a 56" TV. Not to mention, with new TI DLP chips coming out (one for each color) all this will be dated rather quickly. Thanks in advance for any advice or input as to black levels/crush. It would be great to hear from someone that has owned both the Sony RPTV and a BenQ 6100 or X1.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.