AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something interesting when backing up a copy of 3:10 to Yuma on my computer. The 2.35 aspect bars weren't nearly as black as the rest of my preview window. I Opened up the movie in Realplayer and confirmed the same. (see attached)

So what's the deal? Are we trying to achieve a level of black that is not possible without black-enhancement technologies?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about the "black" bars at the top and bottom of the picture. when compared to the black computer screen they seem to be gray. Obviously my computer is capable of reproducing black but it does not for the 2.35 aspect bars.

my point is why should i expect these bars to be ink black on my TV when you can see they are not.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42plasman /forum/post/12870498

I'm talking about the "black" bars at the top and bottom of the picture. when compared to the black computer screen they seem to be gray. Obviously my computer is capable of reproducing black but it does not for the 2.35 aspect bars.

my point is why should i expect these bars to be ink black on my TV when you can see they are not.

your tv is using 0-255 scale while the movie is 16-235

blacks should be black on your tv, if your tv is properly calibrated on the greyscale as 16-235

chees,

·
Registered
705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21 /forum/post/13652160

your tv is using 0-255 scale while the movie is 16-235

blacks should be black on your tv, if your tv is properly calibrated on the greyscale as 16-235

chees,

I think you meant to say "Your PC Display (Laptop) is using 0-255..."

I wonder if some PC Movie players do the conversion for the PC?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts