AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the FP game, I'm trying to determine what's acceptable or not acceptable for black/shadow levels. I'm trying to get a feel for what I should be looking for. And thereby, getting a feel for whether I need to correct with filters, gray screens, etc.

Last night we watched the Others...What a dark and shadowy movie. In that I've never seen this movie on anything other than the FP, I couldn't tell if all the lost details in the shadows was by design (director's intent) or a limitation of my current setup. Is there anyone who has watched this movie on a FP, and could give me a good scene to reference, or is this movie just naturally shadowy? With all the candlelight, mostly only the actors illuminated had great detail. Everything on the periphery was lost in the darkness.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We just watched 'The Others' last night on the 75U. While I agree the movie is pretty dark in places, I don't think I lost much shadow detail (when compared to my 36" Sony upstairs). Is there a specific scene that you think is too dark? Perhaps we can compare...

I'm currently running in Standard mode with a Hoya multicoated FLDay filter. I think my brightness is set at 37, color at 26 and contrast at 31. I'm driving a progressive signal from an RP56 with black level set to lighter and in Cinema mode. My screen is a DIY harboard screen painted Glidden flat Veil Gray.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DMerrill,

I don't know if there was any specific scene...Mostly the scenes where Nicole or the children are illuminated by the candlelight...There are no periphery details, as everything fades to black. All I see is the character's faces in bold colors. Not having watched it on a TV to compare, perhaps that was just the cinematic intent.

It's interesting, tho, that you have your RP on light black. I have mine set to dark. Was there a specific reason you chose the light setting. I just figured that the dark setting would help blacks, but maybe that's contrary to reality.

How is the Glidden hardboard doing? Right now, I'm throwing onto a white bed sheet, so that could be a bit of my problem too. I've been waffling on whether to go with a DIY screen (Hardboard, Parkland, or Blackout), or break down and buy the HCCV DaLite. Is the Glidden solution satisfactory for you? What are your screen dimensions? (Did you list your setup in the 75u/711 screen thread? That's been helpful comparing users setups).

Regards,

Robert

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Robert. I switched my RP56 from dark black to light black because on the dark setting, it seemed to be crushing the blacks a bit. Cinema mode helps a wee bit as well, all though not much.

Funny... when I first got the projector, I caught myself trying to decrease (increase?) the absolute black level by turning down brightness and setting dark black, etc. In reality, all I was doing is making more of the picture that gray-black that we know as 'black.' I guess it made the picture look darker, but black wasn't any more true black than before.

The FLD filter helps absolute black level quite a bit in my setup. You can definately tell the difference. Without the filter, the blacks and grays look a bit hazy. With the filter, the haze is removed. My only problem is getting the right color balance with the filter on. Even though it feels pretty close now, I still get the sense that some fleshtones have a slight green tint to them.

I find that (with the filter), I like the perceived contrast of Standard mode. The picture looks more 3D than with Natural mode. Natural mode, on the other hand, seems smoother - more filmlike - with more accurate colors. Unfortunately, with the filter on, Natural mode seems a bit too red.

Ok, back to your reply... The hardboard screen is doing very well actually. I received some Da-Lite samples in the mail a few weeks back, thinking that I might (some day) replace my current DIY with a 'real' screen. Honestly, for my screen size (80" diag 4:3), the HCCV was too bright. I would say it almost hurt my eyes. The HC Damat was darker than the Glidden Veil, but didn't make that much of a difference to me to warrant a change. I figured with the little bit of extra brightness I currently have, I could experiment with filters.

I haven't been following the 75U/711 thread, but I'll go post my setup there.

Oh, and did you ever get my PM reply?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DMerrill,

Which PM? The last one I got was about the speaker mount. I bought the omnimount from another forum member and I'm waiting on it to arrive and then try to figure out my mounting. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.