AVS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
I totally get it. They’re better at mid and open iris. Brighter, with better blacks. Except that I’m already using it at -15 and its plenty bright. Honestly, if I could crank it down a bit lower, I would. So if I got a newer model, and cranked down the iris, I would get an even brighter pic, which I don’t want, and the blacks would be the same. I realize that my particular situation and taste are not the norm, and that most people would prefer the newer line, but for me, its not the right fit.
Just curious: what is your screen size and gain? Type of room? And I presume for 1080p only?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
110” diag, 16x9, estimated .8 gain, no HDR anytime soon. Light controlled room, grey. Think it’s about 7 or 8 ftL. About 400 hours on the bulb, and I use it a couple hundred hours a year, if that. I’ve recently kinda thrown together a theater “area”, after not having one for many years, but in my last proper home theater, with my Sharp 12kMKII, on a similar screen, I was mostly happy with 4 ftL...90% of the time.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just to give you an idea of how sensitive to brightness I am...

A month or so ago, we were watching an outdoor movie for the first time with my JVC RS2, on a slightly smaller, slightly higher gain screen. As we were watching, I was sure the projector was in high lamp mode. I was sure of it. After the movie was over, I checked. Low lamp. I estimated it was about 1 ftL more than I get on my theater screen.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Used RS-520 is better for you if you can find one, there is no reason to invest in any of the RS-56/57/66/67 models unless you were to get one dirt cheap. Usually in the used market, those cost almost as much as the RS-520, depends though, can vary.

There is no reason to buy a dimmer projector just to lose a TINY bit of extra brightness for a black floor, just buy someone's older lamp or a lamp with 1500 hours on it already, or get an ND filter to use only for certain movies to make them darker, or just crush blacks a little to give the perception of a lower black floor (even though it will not actually be lower, the gamma just above it will be).

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I’d say, on average, a 520 is about a grand more than a 57. That’s a lot of money to spend for no reason...same black level at -15 iris, which is how I use it. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
So the rs45 I bought To downgrade from my rs420 showed up, granted I have anew bulb in it, I can’t say I did much of a downgrade. The rs46 or rs49 even less so I’d bet. Black levels are noticeably lighter but it’s not like I’m upset. Of course who knows what I’ll think around 500hrs. Been watching some of my favorites and pleased so far. The bat cave helps I’m sure because I still get blinded. Yes the rs420 is better though.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was offered a RS66 with a brand new lamp on it for a Very very inviting price. I am tempted to sell my x570 and get the 66. I like the HDR on the 570 but I can live without it. I have a 100” so no need for a cannon light. What should I do? Thank you

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
I was offered a RS66 with a brand new lamp on it for a Very very inviting price. I am tempted to sell my x570 and get the 66. I like the HDR on the 570 but I can live without it. I have a 100” so no need for a cannon light. What should I do? Thank you
Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
18,481 Posts
That's an 8 year old projector. Better to save for a 4K projector.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes I definitely will keep the 570 and jump to a native 4k at the due moment. Or maybe if the deal comes I may try with a 520, meanwhile

·
Registered
29,404 Posts
The RS66 was a very light challenged model. I would look at something else.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts