AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Black levels on the latest Sharps?

1002 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Gshepherdogs
I know the main con on the LCD's is the blacks being inferior to plasma blacks,but are the blacks in the newer sharps THAT much inferior as to where it's unwatchable in a dark room?I want a panel that performs well in bright AND dark lit rooms.So would a plasma be better or the new Sharp panels?I'm at a point now where I'm between the 37" sharp and the 42" HD Panny.I like the fact that the sharp has the higher resolution between those two,but I want as big a panel as possible. I'm also aware that there is more to a great picture than resolution.I'd love the 50" Panny, but it's not really possible as I am in a studio and simply don't have the space.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
anyone??

All these Sharp LCD owners around here... :)
I dont officially have a Sharp but have the HP made by Sharp. I dont have any problems with the blacks. I just got a HP LC3700N, I'd looked at the Panni Plasmas (42 and 50) along with a lot of others and for me they just didnt wow me as much as the plasma guys keep saying. But I am approaching it from a possible diff viewpoint. My main use would be thru a HTPC and in varying room lighting conditions. With proper setup I get a excellent pic from the HP/Sharp. Blacks are good maybe not 100% pure black, but close enuf. One of the most challenging DVD's I use for testing is Bourne Supremacy, during the start while in the Berlin CIA hub with Allen and her staff, the shadows are murder to get right. I had a Samsung DLP and have to go into the service menu to get it to a point where it was acceptable. With my Sony LCD RPTV the shadows are decent but with the HP and adjusting the CMS settings, the shadows are no problem and are actually very good. No clay face on the HP that I saw on some of plasmas and DLPs I look in the stores that let me adjust the default settings using the same DVD. The plasma guys will definetly state that the plasmas are better. But for me, I could have gotten the Panni 50" plasma but I chose the HP LCD. Actauly I was planning on getting the 42" or 50" plasma for my next set but after looking at what I plan to use my set for I chose LCD even tho I already have 2 other LCD TVs. Blacks are not an issue for me but thats just my own personal pref's.
See less See more
Thanks tinker for your input.I like the sharp picture myself.In a store,the LCD's bright colors give it a 'pop' that aren't in the Pannys.To my eyes anyway.But with all the talk about poor blacks,I was wondering just how poor...Plus with my work schedule I plan on using the TV alot during the day too,which is why I'm starting to consider the LCD.I really wasn't before.
I have a Sharp LC45GD5U. After calibration I measured a black level of .030 ftl and a contrast ratio of just over 500/1. It'a a great panel, I'm very pleased.

Cheers...Doug
I have the latest Sharp LC-45GD7U and am extremely happy with the TV. In fact what suprises me is that the default out of the box setting is the Standard setting which to me is perfect and not the more vivid settings of Dynamic or User. With the Standard setting, dark scenes display a suprising amount of background detail, much better than my Sony 34" CRT at any setting.
Met,

I'd suggest using Avia or DVE or GetGray's disc and setting bright / cont. The defaults are not that close to giving optimum dynamic range. I'd also suggest going into the advanced menu and setting mid-low as the color temp. That will get a pretty decent grey scale out of the box. I've been able to get very good grey scale and gamma tracking with a little tweaking in the service menu. Its a really good panel.

Cheers...Doug
I have the new 26" Sharp along with a Mitsubishi 50" HD Plasma and a 42" Panasonic EDTV Plasma. The Sharp is capable of showing more detail in dark areas than the Panny. The Sharp is clearly superior in this area. I am a true believer in plasma but, I have to give the nod to the Sharp.

On the other hand, the Mitsubishi run through an Iscan HD showing a true digital image all the way will at least equal the Sharp, but that is with a lot of help. The Sharp equals it right out of the box with a little minor tweaking.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.