AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like every Tosh is flawed. The 34cx92 I owned didn't have DVI or stable sound so I bought the 34hdx82. That had a great picture except for the vertical light line down the center. Now I have the 34hf83 and with this one, when the screen goes black it shows up as closer to purple. What's worse, the purple is brighter at the edges!!!

Has anyone else noted this? Maybe there's some convoluted rationalization that someone is aware of to explain why this occurs?

Ps The TV has been set up using the Avia setup disk.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
You sound like a very finicky consumer, nothing wrong with that, I am to. At some point though, you'll just have come to the realization that there's just not a WS, DV CRT out there without it's flaws. I know exactly where you're coming from, I had 4 models in a 4 month period last year (3 in a row...held out for the XBR910, t'is no better), found something wrong with every single one of them. Eventually, you start to run out of places to buy, and find yourself questioning just how many returns it'll take before they say no more. I suppose it's the inherent curse of the technology, some people are going to luck out and pull an ideal unit out of the box, others may go through 4 defects.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like ThumperBoy said, you probably just got a bad unit. The fault may or may not be Toshiba's, though it's hard not to form a negative opinion if you've had issues with multiple products from the same company. Who knows, a warehouse guy somewhere could have dropped a pallet too fast, too much g-force but not enough to damage the sturdy carton.

My own experience is that I just recently bought a 34HFX83 and have not noticed any defects. Out of the box performance was excellent. I've adjusted it using the recommended setup disks and now it really looks great, but it was pretty darn good already. For now I'll resist the search for perfection and not go to the service menu or seek professional calibration because although the setup disk's test patterns showed some minor geometry and other issues, things are so close to what they should be that my eye can't see anything wrong during normal viewing. One day I'll probably want to make a very good picture even better but for now I'm enjoying it as it is.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
How much overscan are you getting on that 34HFX83 D'VU? Use an AVIA overscan test pattern to check it out as well as centering. Even with the service menu I'm not able to reduce it much below 5% on the sides or too much distortion occurs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did use the AVIA patterns. Just a little less than 5% overscan on the right and about 2%-3% on the left. Geometry is pretty good, just a little off-center but nearly perfect center circles and lines are very straight all over even to the outside edges with two exceptiosn: a slight wiggle to vertical lines on far left edge and a slight droop on the far left bottom and far right bottom.

Almost none of this is noticeable on standard program material, except the bottom corner droop, but even on CNN or similar news ticker the top edge of the ticker line is totally straight while the bottom corners droop a little for maybe three inches on the extreme left and three inches on the extreme right. It's slight though ang ignorable as the text is always fully visible.

ThumperBoy, since you have a Toshiba, do you know if this is correctable via the service menu or otherwise? I don't know but I wouldn't imagine there's an adjustment to pull up just the extreme left and right bottom corners a hair, but there may be such a thing... Also, is it possible to center better or to "de-wiggle" vertical lines on the extrem left only?

Again, these are mostly minor issues. I wouldn't even be aware of some of them but for the test patterns, and they don't impact my enjoyment of the TV. I'm very glad I selected this Toshiba. In other posts I made it clear that I ranked the 34XBR910 as #1 but it was just beyond my budget. For me a $500 difference is a big deal; just buying the Toshiba was a stretch, but I'm not disappointed with the choice I made!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes you can correct those geometry issues easily in the service menu. I spent hours on mine to get it almost perfect except for the overscan. Looks like you could do much better with overscan on your model. You have to adjust it and save the settings separately for each video mode and theatre-wide mode too. There are several pincushion, corner adjustments in addition to the regular horizontal/vertical size and position - the settings are very similar to those a computer monitor for geometry.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have the first generation of your TV set, the CW34X92. It has performed flawlessly for 4 years.

A purple black level indicates that the grayscale is not correct on your TV. The green drive and green cut is not set properly relative to blue and red which would add up to purple.

The grayscale can be adjusted in the SERVICE MODE of your TV. Make sure and record all of the settings you plan to change so you can get back to the original setting if you want to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.