AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my bulb on my wd-65831 mitsibishi tv. It is bright as new. Only problem I can not adjust my black levals at all. Its almost like to bright. ALSO NOTICED EDGES OF LETTERS ALMOST HAVE WHITE EDGES. Is this a light engine problem or something else?

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasdad /forum/post/16922421

Just changed my bulb on my wd-65831 mitsibishi tv. It is bright as new. Only problem I can not adjust my black levals at all. Its almost like to bright. ALSO NOTICED EDGES OF LETTERS ALMOST HAVE WHITE EDGES. Is this a light engine problem or something else?

Check out this Thread................very likely this is the problem. Very fixable and has been done by many including myself:

Mitsubishi 2007 (and possibility '06 & '08) lens cleaning procedure. No more halo's.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I had my WD-65831 ISF calibrated when I bought it three years ago. All of the problems you describe went away at that time. The calibrationist pointed them out to me as he corrected them. My set's light output was at about 14000 pre-cal. Afterward, it registered an almost perfect 6500 across the board. That alone would go a long way toward solving your brightness complaints. Add in an iris adjustment and black level adjustments, color correction, gamma, and the rest of the adjustments your calibrator will make, and I predict that you too will be a "happy camper".

If you are the "do it yourself" type, calibration discs are easily available on-line or locally. It may take a while, but you can probably get pretty decent PQ from your set that way. If you have the $20-30,000 dollars worth of instruments that most ISF guys use when they do a job, so much the better. The ISF route may run you (+/-)$300-350 dollars, but IMO, the end result is worth every penny.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. It doesn't sound like a problem in the light engine. You might try a calibrationist first simply because if (s)he can't solve the problem, they can probably give you a very good idea of what the underlying trouble really is, and suggestions on the best way to proceed.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have extended warranty and the tech is a personal friend of mine.He says he has seen the problem before. They will pick up Monday. When I changed my first bulb 7 months ago, the picture never was like new. It was dim and not as vivid as when we bought it. My tech said that he doubts it was the same wattages suppose To be. My new bulb is direct from Mitsubishi and was bright as new. Only problem no way to darken it. It is watchable but irritating

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I hope your friend can fix your set for you. Can you leave a note here when you get a diagnosis/solution? Others may be able to avoid the same problem with a little preventative maintenance. Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They picked up my tv Monday 9:00 a.m. and at 2:30 p.m. called me and asked what was wrong with my tv! WTF! This not a good question. If you look at it you can see.He said he would probably change the light engine and clean.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They just delivered my tv back. They replaced optical engine. I had just bought new bulb from Mitsibishi. So far so good. Just like new. Picture is beautiful. I'm sure glad I bought extended warranty.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasdad /forum/post/16995101

They just delivered my tv back. They replaced optical engine. I had just bought new bulb from Mitsibishi. So far so good. Just like new. Picture is beautiful. I'm sure glad I bought extended warranty.

Glad to hear your set is back to having good PQ. Might want to keep this thread handy should your PQ start to fade.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148792

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.