AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just finishing up the drywall in my new HT.

I want to paint my screen wall with black paint. Any suggestions on brand and or finish? I read in another thread that flat black is bad for walls because it marks up easily (Good for ceilings though). So should you use a satin finish? Also, should you primer first or can you get away with painting directly on new drywall with the black paint?

·
Registered
817 Posts
gtv,

You'll want to use a primer that is designed for application on raw drywall before applying a topcoat. Look for a PVA Primer (Home Depot has Behr PVA Primer for about $10/gallon). If you're going with a dark topcoat (like black...), you'll want to have the primer tinted.

You'd want to use a flat black on your screen wall, or you'll get some pretty annoying light bounce that can tend to wash out the image (assuming that you are using front projection...). My brother-in-law swears by the new flat paint that Benjamin Moore is selling. He tells me that it is truly washable, and doesn't show skuff marks like "ordinary" flat paint. I'm presently painting the first finish coat in my theater with it, so I can't yet tell you if my brother-in-law is right or not. But, get ready for sticker shock - this stuff is $35 - $40 a gallon!

At that price, my brother-in-law had better be right about this paint...

Good Luck,

Dwight

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.