Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need a couple quick questions answered:

1) Is a Black Plextor DVD-R acceptable for a quiet/nearly silent HTPC?

2) I have a Barracuda 7200.7, 120 GB HD sitting here... Is the 40 or 60 GB version quieter? Are notebook hard drives quieter? I gave up on the flash ram boot because it seemed to difficult to deal with.

3) Anyone have experience with the Gyration mouse/keyboard setup offering 100 feet range? Any good?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
1. The black plextor drive I have is very silent px-708a is very quiet unless you set it for high speed by holding the eject button for 3 seconds.

2. Check if the Barracuda has an acoustic management utility available from the manufactures website (most IBMs and Maxtors do). It improves the noise at a small performance penalty. Some notebook drives are very quiet but some arent -- look for ones with fluid damping. Almost all notebook drives are significantly slower than desktop ones

3. no experience on that one

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You can always go to www.storagereview.com to get info on drives. To answer your question, the smaller capacity drives really won't be any quieter. Using AAM features is a good idea. If you have an Intel based motherboard and are using the on-board IDE controller you can always get their Application Accelerator app which allows you to set this attribute. I did have problems with it once, though, where my CD burner was unaccessible until I uninstalled the application.

As for notebook drives, they tend to make a rather loud clicking noise when parking the heads. This would only happen during normal use if you use power management to spin down hard drives during idle time. The Seagate Momentus drive makes this operation virtually silent, and it's about the same price as any other 5400 RPM notebook drive.

As to your other two points, I've only ever owned Plextor CD burners, and they're quite silent unless you're burning at very high speed, although this wouldn't really be a problem for an HTPC, since you probably won't be burning and watching stuff at the same time.

I've never used a Gyration setup before, so I can't really answer that at all.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only reason I asked was becasue I have a Plex-708A in black sitting here, but was going to put it in another computer, but if I decide to make a HTPC, I wanted to know if this would be noisier/spin-up, whatever, compared to 'joe' DVD player on some quiet recommendation list... wasn;t sure if the 708-A was any noisier than those on some quiet reccomendation list, wherever that list is...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Quote:
wasn;t sure if the 708-A was any noisier than those on some quiet reccomendation list, wherever that list is...
I always wondered where that was, myself. I eventually gave up and bought a 16X LiteOn because it was dirt cheap. It's dead silent, except for the ball-bearings in the spindle that reposition themselves when you insert a disc. Makes this weird sand moving/grinding type noise, but they're part of a control system to balance the load so you don't get excess vibration (and associated noise). Before that I owned a Sony 4X drive that really sucked. Stopped reading DVDs about 6 months after I bought it, and stopped reading CDRs about a 6 months after that.

I imagine you'll be just fine with that Plextor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.