AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reason why different codec is chosen on the HD DVD release (VC-1) and Blu-ray (MPEG-2)? I thought VC-1 is one of Blu-ray standard and is considered the better one? Will it not save the studio money if same codec is used?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
That's what Paramount has been doing on all their releases. VC1 on HD and MPEG2 on BD.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

I think you might want to do some reasearch yourself dude

-Gary

I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you, but I seem to remember very early on when both formats were still in their infancy you kept raving about how great VC-1 was and that is was somehow immune to traditional compression issues and every movie looked exactly the way it should thanks to VC-1.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX /forum/post/0

I think it is you that needs to do some research.

Also, go get some therapy to cure that ego problem of yours.

Do we know what codecs Fox and Disney prefer? We know Warner prefers VC-1. Also, what is the ratio of mpeg-2 to other codecs on the more recently announced titles on BD and that will shed light on what the general consensus on codecs on the BD side are....

Sony gets royalty for mpeg-2 and are offering a sweet deal to encode BD disks for studios. Not sure how many titles they have promised each studio, but looks like they are cutting back on their own output. For instance, Sony has put out fewer movies than either Universal or Warner (AFAIK).

Just examine the evidence and the facts will be there....

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Most important is source material. VC1 compression on a 30gb disc with equal features will easily win against MPEG-2 on a 25 gb disc. VC1 is at least 2x as efficient as MPEG-2 without the artifacts. MPEG-2 can come close to equaling VC1 with a high bit rate of at least 24+ mbps.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham /forum/post/0

If your blind

Yeah because we all know how terrible the reputation is for MPEG-2 encoded movies like Kingdom of Heaven on Blu-ray have.

And your saying I'm blind?

Irony at it's finest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennRW /forum/post/0

No it means you went overboard with your comment.

Hey I'm not the one that started the whole "do some research" bit.

Oh but I'm am the one that had something remotely positive to say about the other format...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Black Rain will be released on a BD50 ( http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/blackrain.html ), so space will not be a problem. Aside from the fact that VC-1 is more efficient at a lower bitrate, MPEG-2 and VC-1 both seem to have a distinctive look. If you own both formats, maybe you could rent both versions to see which you prefer.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
29,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU /forum/post/0

If anyone is interested in an update of this debate, hidefdigest has now reviewed the MPEG-2 blu-ray version of this movie, and has opined that the video quality matches the VC-1 HD DVD release.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/blackrain.html#Section3

All of Paramount's titles are VC-1 on HD DVD and MPEG2 on Blu-ray, and on just about all of them there has been little to no visible difference. I'm not sure why Black Rain is suddenly such an issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why do people keep ignoring the fact that the MPEG2 codec from Sony has a flaw that ignores the first 8 and last 8 bits of black and white color information? Sony claims they will fix it, but even then their players are going to ignore it. This seems relevent and should at least be discussed in a thread like this. I believe VC1 has no such problem, nor do other MPEG2 codecs or the HD-DVD hardware, as far as I know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.