AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tonight, I noticed 3-4 concentric semi circular black rings emanating from the center bottom area and bending upwards a few inches from the bottom before terminating into a smudge and then nothing. I can see a picture behind this black coloration and when I press on the screen gently with my fingers, I can see what appears to be a liquid like reaction to the pressure. The coloration looks like a black magic marker has been used on the screen. The TV was on earlier in the day, but this wasn't present. The unit (PT-50LC13) is slightly over 3 years old, and is on its 3rd or 4th lamp, and 2nd ballast. I tried searching for this problem but came up empty. Very strange. I'm tempted to take a pic and post that.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing this? It looks like something rotating behind the screen came into contact with something black (ink?) and subsequently smeared it around to form these semi circular markings.

·
Registered
895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism07924 /forum/post/0

Just tonight, I noticed 3-4 concentric semi circular black rings emanating from the center bottom area and bending upwards a few inches from the bottom before terminating into a smudge and then nothing. I can see a picture behind this black coloration and when I press on the screen gently with my fingers, I can see what appears to be a liquid like reaction to the pressure. The coloration looks like a black magic marker has been used on the screen. The TV was on earlier in the day, but this wasn't present. The unit (PT-50LC13) is slightly over 3 years old, and is on its 3rd or 4th lamp, and 2nd ballast. I tried searching for this problem but came up empty. Very strange. I'm tempted to take a pic and post that.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing this? It looks like something rotating behind the screen came into contact with something black (ink?) and subsequently smeared it around to form these semi circular markings.

I am wondering if your LCD panels aren't going. I have the PT-50LC14, same age as your set roughly..... I haven't seen this though. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some pics. This morning, these ring marks seem to have washed out a bit, not nearly as dark or concentrated as they were last night.

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo2176 /forum/post/0

Did you recently clean the screen with Windex? or any other cleaner? Looks suspiciously like you or your better half(assuming you have one) decided that the screen was dusty and it was time for a cleaning.

Looks like liquid has seeped into the screen.

If you have, or "she " has, you might get lucky and it might evaporate... or it might not, essentially ruining the set.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/04/10/windex-1-hdtv-0/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2111246,00.asp

Oh boy, yeah...that'd be my 4 year old. Figured that might have been what happened, but she denies it (of course). What ya gonna do? LOL. Ugh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news for anyone else who has this happen; it has almost dissipated completely on its own, apparently evaporation and gravity....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts