AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an LCD small screen TV for my kid. He's happy. I had an occasion to use that TV in my living room today (old set died). Every time I change channels, the screen goes to black for about 3 seconds. I can't stand it! I went to Walmart -not the best place to shop - The salesman(???) told me that all new TVs do that. I am going to Best Buy next week to talk to them also about this. Can anyone here enlighten me as to if the Walmart person is correct and if so is there a feature that I should look for in TVs that will not go to black when changing channels. The only flat panel TV that I have ever used is my kids as described above.

Please help - TeamanFL

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamanfl /forum/post/20775115

I bought an LCD small screen TV for my kid. He's happy. I had an occasion to use that TV in my living room today (old set died). Every time I change channels, the screen goes to black for about 3 seconds. I can't stand it! I went to Walmart -not the best place to shop - The salesman(???) told me that all new TVs do that. I am going to Best Buy next week to talk to them also about this. Can anyone here enlighten me as to if the Walmart person is correct and if so is there a feature that I should look for in TVs that will not go to black when changing channels. The only flat panel TV that I have ever used is my kids as described above.

Please help - TeamanFL

What are you using as your source? I have satellite and regardless of which set I'm using (I have CRT's. Plasma and LCD), when I change the channel it goes blank since it has to reset when changing to a different transponder or satellite. HD feed lag time is usually longer. Not sure what the fuss is all about.

Ian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using basic analog cable (RF input). On my broken Sony XBR glass tube TV, I see no blanking at all, just a smooth video change. I also have a glass tube TV in my bedroom that has a smooth transition also.

To me this is a big deal! Thanks for any help! TeamanFL

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I'd suggest you start scouring Craigslist for old crt sets then. Digital signals, whether OTA, Satellite, or Cable take a second or two to synch when changing channels. It would appear that your cable system is one of the few that still has an analog base package. Once that goes away you'll have to get boxes for the old tube sets and put up with the pause.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
A digital TV signal will never change channels as fast as an analog signal since a digital signal consits of both full frames and partial change frames and will not display until the next full frame signal is received and processed. some TV models do this faster then others. My cable service multiplexes both the analog and the digital signal for the local broadcasters on my cable line.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
It happens on my Directv, mainly cause I have it set for "native" so each channel change requires the Directv box, then the TV, to realize if it is 720P or 1080I.

Now, when I do "previous" between 2 channels it doesn't do that, just when a new channel is chosen.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20776158

It happens on my Directv, mainly cause I have it set for "native" so each channel change requires the Directv box, then the TV, to realize if it is 720P or 1080I.

Now, when I do "previous" between 2 channels it doesn't do that, just when a new channel is chosen.

I believe it's a small price to pay, so to speak, for the best HD picture quality.

Ian

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
?? I honestly can recommend checking into an OCD diagnosis. If the brief blanking induced by a channel change causes this much angst...it is time to seek help. I am not kidding and yes I am trained to make such a suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56
?? I honestly can recommend checking into an OCD diagnosis. If the brief blanking induced by a channel change causes this much angst...it is time to seek help. I am not kidding and yes I am trained to make such a suggestion.
Well, I just double checked and it takes over 3 seconds for the picture to change. I don't call that "brief".

I am 69 years old. I guess I have led a sheltered life because my TVs have always changed very smoothly. In the past channel surfing was fun, but no more. I guess I will have to learn to to live with the new improved technology.

BTW, I don't mean to make this sound like a RANT. I am here to learn new things. I am not an expert. I do know something about electronics and I know for sure that it does not take over 3 seconds for a new video frame to to be transmitted either over the air or through a cable. Anyway, sorry for the curt remarks. TeamanFL

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamanfl

Please help - TeamanFL
My guess is that you bought a cheap screen with a cheap OTA tuner and you get what you paid for. Either that or you have a problem with your TV or whatever is changing the channels. It shouldn't take more than split second to change the picture.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley
It shouldn't take more than split second to change the picture.

On cable? I don't think so.

Ian

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
All digital signals are compressed and require processor either (graphic card or CPU) to decode which of course takes time and the best decompression algorithims requied more porecessor power. Also encoded digital signals are transmitted with full screens and updates to the full screen till the next full screen is transmitted. And if you frame interpolation motion compensation enabled this also requires processor time.

TVs have a game mode to reduce the lag time caused by processing activities on the TV and of course with it activated the change to a new channel will also be faster.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley /forum/post/20786127

I have a cable box like everyone else and it doesn't take more than split second to change the channel.

Yes, but how long does it take to get an HD picture?

Ian

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley /forum/post/20790311

I only have HD sources, including from my cable box. It takes a split second when I switch channels.

So what do you think of that walford?

Ian

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
It's not your fathers TV anymore.

Everything has microprocessors of one sort or another and things take time. Some sets take longer to switch channels than others. Switching between analog and digital is different on some also. If it is an external STB, that's another story. Thanks to SDV it could be longer.

Can't beat OTA AFAIC. No SDV, no fees, no hassles, no rentals, co customer service. Period.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/20790407

So what do you think of that walford?

Ian

It depends on the definition of "Split Second" The channel change should certainly take less then a second, in fact IMHO 1/2 a second is about the max that should occur.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.