AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any ways to change the color from grey to black on the side bars when I'm watching 4:3 on my F38310?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
In your manual you will see that the gray bars most of the time prevent screen burn in, if you have black in this area your exposing your set unecessarily. Read your manual I have mine next to me in file case with lock, not locked away in some closet.

:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
To answer your question..yes you can. But I wouldn't do it. The previous post is correct in stating you will harm your monitor.

If this RCA is new to you, just let the grey bars become familar to you. Eventually you won't even realize they are there. Seriously...and I am VERY picky about such things.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
pederb...it's a mute point on whether gray or black sidebars will damage your F38310 tube, because you can not change it anyways. Black is the sidebar of choice for most digital TV stations, and you can't change it, whether it be the color or to stretch the image. You can stretch the image on a 4:3 non-digital channel. The 16:9 channels (black sidebars, included) are etched in stone.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I watch enough 4:3 on the digital channels (with varying amounts of black bars on the side, depending on the affiliate's feed, they pretty much decide it) that the grey bars on my s-video inputs when I choose 4:3 aren't going to help much.

That being said, i didn't think there was a way to change the grey bars to black, even in the service menu.

if there is, I'd love to know the secret.

thanks

oleus

·
Registered
337 Posts
The secret is better electronics. My aconda displays bars that are very close to true black. Up against the piano black finish on the frame, it looks like the difference between gloss black and flat black.

·
Registered
22,497 Posts
Fact...

Grey bars are recommended. By having these bars, it will 'age' the phosphors gracefully (in relation to the 'active' 4:3 viewing area). Black bars do not excite the phosphors, therefore when you have black bars, the only portions of your screen aging is the actual 4:3 picture area. What will happen is actually the opposite of 'burn-in'. The black bar area will eventually appear 'brighter' than the 4:3 area in time. The 4:3 area is the 'burn-in'. Grey bars are the lesser of two evils.

Other fact..

Black bars are x-mitted by most local digital stations by default. This is because they always broadcast a 16:9 signal, even with 4:3 material. Less intervention on their part when transitioning between SD and HD programs.

These issues have been discussed/debated/explained as nauseum...

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Ratman -

i understand and agree with all you're saying.

I'm just debating/wondering whether it's even physically possible to change the grey bars on the F38310 to black. I'm under the impression that we can't but i'd be elated to find out i'm wrong.

I don't plan on having this TV as my main tv five years from now, and i've grown to HATE the grey bars. I tried getting used to them, but i feel it would dramatically enhance how i perceive PQ on my directivos.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If the F38310 behaves like the stand-alone DTC-100 STB (whose electronics are built into the F38310), and if you have the current software version (A05.10), then you may be able to use the Monitor Setup menu to change the gray bars to black for viewing 4:3 source material.

Since I own a DTC-100 and not a F38310, I could easily be wrong here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It IS possible to change on the 38310. But it is not a simple method of going in and changing the menu somewhere. It requires access tot he Service Menu via a PC interface. Got to ***************.com for more information. Check under the RCA message board.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
well, i went to ***************, no one's giving me any info and searches turn up nothing.

just how complicated is this procedure?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
well, i went to ***************, no one's giving me any info and searches turn up nothing.

just how complicated is this procedure?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Budget_HT
If the F38310 behaves like the stand-alone DTC-100 STB (whose electronics are built into the F38310), and if you have the current software version (A05.10), then you may be able to use the Monitor Setup menu to change the gray bars to black for viewing 4:3 source material.

Since I own a DTC-100 and not a F38310, I could easily be wrong here.
Yes you are! The DTC-100 built in to the F38310 is similar but not exactly the same as the stand-alone unit. I have the current software in my F38310, and no way of changing the gray sidebars to black.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
So did RCA block this feature to avoid burn-in issues on the screen because they provided it?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Budget_HT
So did RCA block this feature to avoid burn-in issues on the screen because they provided it?
That would be my guess. I have owned a DTC-100 and did have the black bar option. Apparently RCA only cares abot its displays and not other brands.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I don't even use the 4:3 format all viewed is in the stretch format, after a few months you will be accustomed to it. The F38310 is to viewed as a wide screen not a 4:3. Every news broadcast, Weather channel or digital movies on HBO/Cinemax are viewed as anamorphic; wheter it be 2.35:1 or 1.85:1. :)

P.S. I don't see grey, blue, pink or black bars, FYI read the top of my signature.:)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Hob...some people just don't like the stretch format. I prefer to view a 4:3 telecast in 4:3. But I do try and limit how many 4:3 telecasts I watch. I probably watch both of my HDTVs at least more than 50% of the time either on 16:9 HD programming or wide-screen DVDs. It comes down to personal preference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.