AVS Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I don't know of any actual "Black Velvet" material that comes with a pre-applied Adhesive backing...only Pseudo Velvet (Felts) and none of those come in anything over 6" wide.

If done with some degree of care, hanging the Black Velet normally suggested (Plush Triple Velvet from SyFabric) using simple Thumb Tacks works for both Walls and Ceiling. Simply paint the Thumbtacks Stain Black and the essentially disappear.

The suggested Velvet has some degree of stretch to is, so it can be made to be absolutely Flat on the Wall...no wrinkles, yet the stretching isn't enough to pull out Tacks. You get an excellent and perfectly flat, totally light absorbant surface

I would not suggest the Protostar for 3 reasons:
Cost
Difficulty in application
Dependability of source.

I did used to be an PotoStar advocate, the 1st two reasons above could be accepted. But when they started getting squirlly as far as answerring the Phone & Emails, and also not delivering product in a timely basis, that made the stuff much less desirable....
i have some triple black velvet. You think that works ok on the ceiling with tacks?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,976 Posts
i have some triple black velvet. You think that works ok on the ceiling with tacks?
I have done so many times. In a very few instances the Home Owner wanted me to use Wide Headed Upholstery Tacks because their shafts were longer, and they could be set into studs. I never liked doing so because you can scar the Velvet with a Hammer Head strike, and removal is a PITA.

Nope, Tacks are best.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I have done so many times. In a very few instances the Home Owner wanted me to use Wide Headed Upholstery Tacks because their shafts were longer, and they could be set into studs. I never liked doing so because you can scar the Velvet with a Hammer Head strike, and removal is a PITA.

Nope, Tacks are best.
thanks! I’m looking for appropriate tacks. These are black matte.

the reviews on these say they’re flimsy, but they’re regular push type

HENREK Push Pins, 300pcs 3/8-Inch Plastic Round Head, 5/16-Inch Steel Point Thumb Tacks (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUJ8TDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kdyjFbA75FZSF

Any opinions on tacks other than not using the super long ones?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,976 Posts
thanks! I’m looking for appropriate tacks. These are black matte.

And those are the ones to choose, being that they have Matte Black Heads that are just under 1/2" wide, and shaftts that are 1/2" long.

Those are a great find.....perfect for the job. Pushed in straight and not "worked with" so as to loosen their penetrative grip, they will easily hold a single layer of the Velvet in place, even resisting the slight amount of pull required to stretch the material out flat between the individual Tacks.

Of course that does mean being as precise as possible putting them in place, and I would not hesitate to use 2 in a given location that might be critical as far as anchoring a edge or corner.

I'm going to bookmark those myself.:cool:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
And those are the ones to choose, being that they have Matte Black Heads that are just under 1/2" wide, and shaftts that are 1/2" long.

Those are a great find.....perfect for the job. Pushed in straight and not "worked with" so as to loosen their penetrative grip, they will easily hold a single layer of the Velvet in place, even resisting the slight amount of pull required to stretch the material out flat between the individual Tacks.

Of course that does mean being as precise as possible putting them in place, and I would not hesitate to use 2 in a given location that might be critical as far as anchoring a edge or corner.

I'm going to bookmark those myself.:cool:
thanks!

so after my post I got antsy and just bought some local white tacks at Walmart. I can paint them Flat black. I’m wondering how many tacks I need sat per foot. I don’t want them to be too noticeable.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,976 Posts
Don't get antsy...you found the perfect Tacks....they are significantly better than the standard White Headed Tacks you purchased.Their shafts are longer, and that is exactly what you want / need!

Sheesh...just when you think everything is working out good......BAM, you step on a lousy Tack.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Lol. Well I used them and painted them. They worked well and I agree tacks were the way to go over trying to get adhesive flocking. Now I need more velvet for the remainder of my ceiling. Ordered. You can see where it stops in the pic

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I think it's time I finally do something to help my room. Because it's a living room, I cannot do anything that cannot be moved/slid away. I'm looking to hang curtains on the sides and maybe some sheets of material to go over the sectional sofa that we don't sit on during movie watching but goes right up to the side of the screen. Maybe something for the floor. The screen is around 2 feet from the ceiling. I have a Da-lite High Power screen which is retro reflective so it does a pretty good job of not shooting the light all over the room too much.

I noticed that triple velvet has been highly recommended. Is there a curtain version of that that would stand up to opening and closing over and over? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought I would contribute to this discussion. I kept researching what everyone in here said to do with JoAnn Fabrics Royal Velvet or other brands. Depending on who I bought it from they sold it either 44" or 58" wide per yard. The 44" wide variants would cause me to by 32 yards worth to do my screen wall with a lot of waste of material. Long story short I found a wholesaler Ben Textiles Inc. Which told me to get the Royal Velvet @ $9.99/yard (58" wide Variant). I was only going to need about 20-25 yards depending on how I cut it and how much I wrapped around the back of the panels. I noticed that they were selling bolts (65yds) worth of the material for $349 (link below) so I just went ahead and got that. I should have enough left over to do my entire ceiling also because we are planning on doing the fiber optic star ceilings in the future. To see how it looks in the near future check out My Build (The Clearing Theater)

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,976 Posts
I thought I would contribute to this discussion. I kept researching what everyone in here said to do with JoAnn Fabrics Royal Velvet or other brands. Depending on who I bought it from they sold it either 44" or 58" wide per yard. The 44" wide variants would cause me to by 32 yards worth to do my screen wall with a lot of waste of material. Long story short I found a wholesaler Ben Textiles Inc. Which told me to get the Royal Velvet @ $9.99/yard (58" wide Variant). I was only going to need about 20-25 yards depending on how I cut it and how much I wrapped around the back of the panels. I noticed that they were selling bolts (65yds) worth of the material for $349 (link below) so I just went ahead and got that. I should have enough left over to do my entire ceiling also because we are planning on doing the fiber optic star ceilings in the future. To see how it looks in the near future check out My Build (The Clearing Theater)

I hope it works out for you.....buying a Bolt of it based primarily ob the width factor was a huge leap of faith.

Long tirade made short; There is a specific reason why certain types of Velvet are recommended, and of paramount importance is that the material have virtually no sheen. The Velvet you purchased has what they call "a subtle sheen".

What's that mean? It has a visible sheen whenever light strikes it...it does NOT absorb light on the order of effectiveness that a Black Triple Velvet, or Eagle Brand...or Madonna. Royal has never made that list. JoAnns was never a preferred source...simply a convienent one.

In your case it seems the width was the most important determining factor, and that being the case...you have seemed to have no choice but to go with something of that size. I am concerned that it will not be nearly as much as "Black Hole" as your expecting....

.............but as I said before, It works out for you. In such times I welcome being wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hope it works out for you.....buying a Bolt of it based primarily ob the width factor was a huge leap of faith.

Long tirade made short; There is a specific reason why certain types of Velvet are recommended, and of paramount importance is that the material have virtually no sheen. The Velvet you purchased has what they call "a subtle sheen".

What's that mean? It has a visible sheen whenever light strikes it...it does NOT absorb light on the order of effectiveness that a Black Triple Velvet, or Eagle Brand...or Madonna. Royal has never made that list. JoAnns was never a preferred source...simply a convienent one.

In your case it seems the width was the most important determining factor, and that being the case...you have seemed to have no choice but to go with something of that size. I am concerned that it will not be nearly as much as "Black Hole" as your expecting....

.............but as I said before, It works out for you. In such times I welcome being wrong.
Welp, hopefully it works out. I was originally going to buy the triple velvet but when I spoke to Ben Textiles on the phone and described what I was doing for a screen wall he said to buy the royal velvet as that is what their customers use it for. If it doesn't work out I guess a will have a lot of arts and craft times or just sell this to someone else.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,976 Posts
Well, in direct comparisons against images taken from the Website...presumably both under identical lighting, I would be extremely doubtful that your end results would be anything even close to acceptable...at least by the standards that those of us hold to be worthy. The differences in width, and the need to join seams is a minor issue compared to your seeing waves of reflected light wash across surfaces that are supposed to be absorbing such light.

Oh for certain sure it will be better than a White Wall or Ceiling...but Mo 'Bedder enough to warrant the expense and labor saved against using what is right and called for...? Not in my judgement. I'd suggest you take that Bolt of Royal back and and reconsider the advice you were given by someone who does not design Home Theaters against products that come with having been heavily used and well vetted in such actual use.

.BTW...Fire retardant-cy should be a consideration and there are better Fabrics that can accommodate that issue if deigned important.

Lookee see and you decide...but choose wisely.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, in direct comparisons against images taken from the Website...presumably both under identical lighting, I would be extremely doubtful that your end results would be anything even close to acceptable...at least by the standards that those of us hold to be worthy. The differences in width, and the need to join seams is a minor issue compared to your seeing waves of reflected light wash across surfaces that are supposed to be absorbing such light.

Oh for certain sure it will be better than a White Wall or Ceiling...but Mo 'Bedder enough to warrant the expense and labor saved against using what is right and called for...? Not in my judgement. I'd suggest you take that Bolt of Royal back and and reconsider the advice you were given by someone who does not design Home Theaters against products that come with having been heavily used and well vetted in such actual use.

.BTW...Fire retardant-cy should be a consideration and there are better Fabrics that can accommodate that issue if deigned important.

Lookee see and you decide...but choose wisely.

View attachment 3042768
So I received my Royal Velvet and it looks like velvet. I called Ben Textiles (wholesaler) again to get a better answer as to if the Triple Velvet is better. They stated that they will have the same sheen and royal is 100% polyester and better fabric. So this gets me wondering is this guy wrong or am I missing something here. He stated that many of the wholesalers buy their fabrics from South Korea and provide it to the retailers. I looked and there are a lot of South Korean companies that produce velvet. I even looked at JoAnn Fabrics which many in these forums indicate to buy Royal 3 Velvet from them. Many of their products say they come from Korea also.

The wholesalers sell to places like fabric.com, Syfabrics, mytextilefabric.com, etc. So this gets me wondering what is the difference between these products if the wholesaler is telling me they look the same in light and darkness and if Sy and others all buy from the same pool of wholesalers. Then I get to looking where these companies are located and what do you know Sy Fabrics and Ben Textiles are 9 minutes from each other in Los Angeles (pic below for reference), and if I am understanding correctly Ben sells to Sy also from what he stated when I called them. I asked them if they sell to Sy and he said yes but they really only buy the triple velvet. Tried to call Sy Fabrics multiple times to figure this out but did not get any answer.

So now I am wondering well surely there have to be US companies that manufacture this product and I found KM Fabrics and JB Martin and maybe they sell a higher quality product. Called and was directed me rosebrand.com to get their products. Spoke to Rose and they indicated that all velvets will have a shine and the royal and triple are not much different. He recommended their Crescent and Encore Velours which KM manufactures and stated that these will be much superior to any velvet (more in price though)

In the end, I am not convinced that there will be much of a difference between the Royal that I bought and the Triple that you recommend from Sy based on the wholesaler's input. If the wholesaler really does sell to Sy then I am curious why he is saying the Royal is better for a home theater. If I were to go back and buy the triple velvet from the original company (Triple Velvet), it is still much cheaper to buy the Triple Velvet Bolt (30 yards) than from Sy. It's $7.99/yard or $174.99/bolt while it is $9.50/yard at Sy (Plush Triple Velvet BLACK). Sy would never answer their phone though for me to close this loop but the product dimensions are the same for the triple at both Sy and mytextilefabrics.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts