AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using NEC 50MP1 which was coming only in black bezel frame. I've seen Sony Plasma which is available in Silver and I believe Fujitsu is also available in Gold. I was wondering from viewing standpoint if Silver/Gold bezel would somewhat distract viewer ? Also many manufacturers are offering dual versions of consumer electronics maybe to fit decor requirements of consumers. A relative of mine bought 32 inch Panasonic hdtv and it is only available in Silver - I looked at it the PQ was good but it looks a bit odd to me in silver :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
A black bezel frame is highly desirable IMHO and enhances the viewing experience. Silver and other colors may look better when the display is not on, but when the movie starts, black is best.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I love the black frame on my Pro1000. I do wish it was a little smaller it's a little on the bulky side in my opinion

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcthomas
A black bezel frame is highly desirable IMHO and enhances the viewing experience. Silver and other colors may look better when the display is not on, but when the movie starts, black is best.
I prefer silver. Besides, all silver bezels have a black strip that connects directly to the glass, so the silver is not distracting in the least. If you have a backlit plasma, then the case that silver is visually distrating is even more of a moot point.

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
jcthomas,

I agree. I love the lighter colored bezels aesthetically. In fact, a lighter colored bezel would probably have matched our decor better. However, I find the lighter color distracting when it comes to actually viewing a movie.

I find myself made aware of the "framing" effect to the picture at all times.

Whereas, even with the lights on, a black or dark bezel seems to disappear from the viewing experience, leaving me conscious of only the image. (Especially with the lights down low - the frame disappears giving you that floating in the dark, movie theater effect).

Rich H.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Black does seem to draw less attention to itself when the unit is on, I also want the display to match the color of my center channel speaker and components (reciever etc...) which are all black

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Black and charcoal are the best.

However, recently all the major manufacturers moved to gold and silver for their faceplates, and I guess plasmas are no exception.

Last year, I changed from a charcoal bezel (Fujitsu) to a faint silver (NEC) bezel. When the room is dark, there is absolutely no distraction. When there's light it fits better with the rest of the equipment.

So, overall - I'd say that, at least with silver, there are no down sides.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Some of the silver ones, like the new fancy Toshibas, look real nice. I am less thrilled with the look of the Pioneer 4330 and 5030, personally. I don't really care for the Fujitsu bezels, but I confess the picture quality ends the issue in a hurry. The Panasonic bezels and the industrial Pioneers are very plain in their charcoal, but they sure don't distract at all.. And they still have that nice black edge around the screen.

Seems like this is overall a real non-issue and you should pick what your aesthetic appreciates.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
I saw the Pro-1000 at Tweeter with the black bezel. Looks like a picutre frame, but it was glossy and would reflect glare from the image. The Panny charcoal was not as nice, but there was no glare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.