AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best ways/products to black out windows?

I have a couple windows adjacent to my projection screen, and while I have roll-down shades + curtains my wife picked for the decor of the room, I'd like to prevent the light that still comes through around everything.

I'm thinking of some sort of black stick-on film to apply to the inside of each window pane that goes right up to the edges of the glass?

Are there other better ways? I am even open to using some sort of thing to block the basement window on the outside since it sits in a deep window well anyways.

Note: I cannot put up black-out curtains inside due to WAF.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Honestly….tinfoil is the best stuff to blackout (prevent light) coming in. Did that when I was on third shift in the military so I could sleep.

Other than that, nothing will prevent all light. There are some tints you can put (like car window tint) that gets pretty dark, but it will still allow some light in.

There are also “room darkening” bali blinds. Blocks some light. Those may work better for WAF. You can get those at Home Depot for like $40 a piece for a normal size window. And they can also cut them for you right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
This probably won't meet your WAF. But maybe it will give you an idea. The bottom piece is magnetic and can be removed if I ever want to put the window up. (which is never)
Brown Furniture Comfort Chair Wood
Interior design Wood Comfort Floor Flooring

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your wife will let you duct tape the windows but not have blackout curtains? :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I'd attack it from the outside then.
Yes, well she isn't exactly allowing this either but I figure it's on the otherside of the roller shade so she won't even notice until she looks at the windows from the outside (which they are in a deep well and she likely won't care.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Some photos of your window frame might help. You can measure the rectangular opening on the the wall around the window and have some 3 to 5mm MDF boards cut to measure. Then, you staple or glue some opaque dark and thin PVC bands along the edges of the boards to create a sort of membrane, and stick the boards in the wall openings (from the inside) as deep as possible. If the wall finish is not flat, I recommend you staple some black fabric behind the PVC bands too. Add a handle to the MDF boards for easy placement and removal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honestly I have a piece of presentation cardboard cut to size that i squeezed in there where the glass is. 0 light is coming through, adds insulation and it's not ugly. you can get them colour too or print a nice picture on it and make it a movie poster if you are not going for the super dark look.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly I have a piece of presentation cardboard cut to size that i squeezed in there where the glass is. 0 light is coming through, adds insulation and it's not ugly. you can get them colour too or print a nice picture on it and make it a movie poster if you are not going for the super dark look.
Ha, I just did the same with some 3/4" acoustic panels (felt) I cut perfectly - squeezed them in there and has blocked all light.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
What are the best ways/products to black out windows?

I have a couple windows adjacent to my projection screen, and while I have roll-down shades + curtains my wife picked for the decor of the room, I'd like to prevent the light that still comes through around everything.

I'm thinking of some sort of black stick-on film to apply to the inside of each window pane that goes right up to the edges of the glass?

Are there other better ways? I am even open to using some sort of thing to block the basement window on the outside since it sits in a deep window well anyways.

Note: I cannot put up black-out curtains inside due to WAF.
Top down, bottom up black out shades/blinds from Bali. You can get custom sized so you have no light bleed on the sides.

I use them in my theater room and zero light comes in.

·
Registered
Emotiva XMC-2, Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3, JVC NX7, NHT VT-3/VC-3/VR-3, NHT iC4-ARC x4, HSU VTF-3 MK5 x2
261 Posts
Blackout shades are fantastic, but since they leave a gap around the edges there will always be light leakage. I added the U-shaped side channels and have been amazed and thrilled by how much of a difference they make. There are many varieties of channels out there, but this is what I went with.

Building Wood Shade Sky Tints and shades

And this is what the window looks like mid-afternoon on a bright, sunny summer day.

Black Wood Tints and shades Font Electric blue

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
We put the blackout shades in our room. It's fine except for that little strip on the edges where it seeps through.

It doesn't bother me because 95% of the time we are down there after sunset.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts