Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I want the URSA Mini. Either the URSA or the JVC GY-LS300 was going to be my next camcorder. The JVC was in the lead because the current version of the URSA is so darned heavy. But a smaller URSA with a true S35 sensor, global shutter, 10-bit ProRes, RAW and a viewfinder (at the same price as the original URSA or less) would be a close to perfect camera for me. If BM adds a built-in ND, it will be even closer.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It is still a huge camera, having "mini" in its name doesn't make it mini.
It's certainly Mini compared to its big brother, the URSA.

This is my next camcorder. I have dithered for about 3 years (my most recent favorite has been the $3995 JVC GY-LS300), but if the reported specs and $2995 price are even close to accurate, this could be the perfect amateur cinema camera.

With a Super 35 sensor, interchangeable lenses, Blackmagic's standard CinemDNG RAW, real 4K+ (instead of UHD) and what appears to be easy compatibility with a shoulder mount - this camera makes the $2499 Canon XC10 look like a toy.

And $2995 makes the Amira, CION, FS7, everything from RED or Canon Cinema EOS and even the GY-LS300 look seriously overpriced.

Panasonic's new camcorder had better be competitive on price - or it will be stillborn tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It's certainly Mini compared to its big brother, the URSA.

This is my next camcorder. I have dithered for about 3 years (my most recent favorite has been the $3995 JVC GY-LS300), but if the reported specs and $2995 price are even close to accurate, this could be the perfect amateur cinema camera.

With a Super 35 sensor, interchangeable lenses, Blackmagic's standard CinemDNG RAW, real 4K+ (instead of UHD) and what appears to be easy compatibility with a shoulder mount - this camera makes the $2499 Canon XC10 look like a toy.

And $2995 makes the Amira, CION, FS7, everything from RED or Canon Cinema EOS and even the GY-LS300 look seriously overpriced.

Panasonic's new camcorder had better be competitive on price - or it will be stillborn tomorrow.

Canon's XC10 doesn't have anything to worry about, it competes in the small prosumer camcorder space (such as the G30 or AX100). The BM Mini-Maximus is simply too large for those applications, even if it smaller than the original Ursa. Also, the 3K is for the basic version, while you would want the full version which costs 5K. And add to that your storage, viewfinder (another 1.5K) and probably the battery as well.

The Canon will be available in a few months whereas the BM will most likely show up in 2016, by which time a XC15 will likely hit the market.

I don't think Canon will be losing any sleep over the BM camera as far as their XC10 is concerned. It faces much bigger challenges from market directions and competition from true hybrids than the BM products.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, the price can get up their. $3000 is for the version with the Original sensor, $5000 is for the updated sensor, $1,500 is for the viewfinder and add another $400 for the shoulder rig. Want a PL mount to go with the new sensor? Add $500.

All that would cost you $7,400. Oh, one more thing, it doesn't have built in ND filters so you'd have to buy them so that would add even more to the costs.
I got that info from here:
http://nofilmschool.com/2015/04/bla...r-ursa-mini-46k-sensor-15-stops-dynamic-range

Here's the info page:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursamini

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Yes, the price can get up their. $3000 is for the version with the Original sensor, $5000 is for the updated sensor, $1,500 is for the viewfinder and add another $400 for the shoulder rig. Want a PL mount to go with the new sensor? Add $500.

All that would cost you $7,400. Oh, one more thing, it doesn't have built in ND filters so you'd have to buy them so that would add even more to the costs.
I got that info from here:
http://nofilmschool.com/2015/04/bla...r-ursa-mini-46k-sensor-15-stops-dynamic-range

Here's the info page:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursamini

And, it does not come with any lens if you are comparing it to any other cameras.

Btw, with the EF mount, Canon might gain from the availability of such a camera.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

All that would cost you $7,400. Oh, one more thing, it doesn't have built in ND filters so you'd have to buy them so that would add even more to the costs.]
I'm buying the 4K $2995 version, using the shoulder rig I've already got plus a $595 Cineroid SDI viewfinder - so my total price will be $3990 (body only) for a 4K RAW shoulder mounted camcorder with 1080/160p slow motion, pro XLR inputs and SDI out. Not bad.

It doesn't make any sense (to me, at least) to buy a $1500 viewfinder for a $3000 camera.

As far as lenses go - a lot of the people upgrading to this camera will be Canon shooters who already have glass. Sadly, for me, I will have to switch back to Canon glass from micro 4/3 and buy a Metabones for my GH4 so I can share lenses between the two cameras.

That's going to be a real hassle - but getting rid of my old TM900 and the 4 MFT cameras gathering dust on my shelf and consolidating down to 2 cameras (the URSA Mini 4K and the GH4) with a single lens mount will make it worth it.

That said, I wish they had a MFT version :(

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Looks like many 4K choices today compared to a year ago. I am satisfied with my GH4 4K system since I know what lenses work best for each type of shoot.

Screenshot from my GH4 4K UHD video with 100-300mm OIS @ 100mm (230mm FF eqiv) :

crop:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts