AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the long days of summer roll in, I want to continue to enjoy my new Dwin TV3.

In my HT room we have a window with a standard Hunter Douglas light filtering accordian-style blind. The blind is mounted flush with the front of the window frame, but there's about 2.5-3" between the window and the blind.

In order to maintain the existing decor, I'm looking for a light blocking blind that will sit behind the light filtering blind and be raised and lowered independently. It should be basically invisible but will block out the light when pulled down.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Xkode - We have a similar set up, a large south facing window in the home theater room/den. The window has a set of lined curtains that look good and keep some of the light out. Behind that we installed an old fashioned "roller shade", the kind on a spring loaded rod. The color matches the walls and when rolled up it sits inside the top of the window area, between the curtains and window. When pulled down it does a good job of blocking out the stray light. Low tech but it works. Reed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They make accordian style blinds specifically for this; my parents have them in their theater room. They have a metallic lining on the inside of the cloth material (where you can't see it) but looks like a regular blind on the outside. They are available in custom lengths and colors, although the color selection is limited when compared to standard blinds, and block light extrememly well.

Brian

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cryptAWD
They make accordian style blinds specifically for this; my parents have them in their theater room. They have a metallic lining on the inside of the cloth material (where you can't see it) but looks like a regular blind on the outside. They are available in custom lengths and colors, although the color selection is limited when compared to standard blinds, and block light extrememly well.

Brian
I'd love to get a make/model on these--and the dimensions (primarily the depth of the mounting and the blinds themselves).

·
Registered
683 Posts
Xkode - we have similar "accordian" style black out blinds in our bedroom. They are made by Hunter Douglas. They are about the same size and depth as standard Hunter Douglas light filtering blinds. There is a place in Redmond, American Drapery, that has great prices. Reed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just installed Bali cellular style black-out shades on the two skylights in my HT. They can be used alone (they come in a variety of colors) or behind something else.

Because of the skylight, mine also has a track around the interior of the skylight to keep everything lined up.

I ordered them from Lowes for a very reasonable price.

Between these shades and the black-out drapery liners on the two sliding doors in my HT, I now have great light control.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I have the Hunter Douglas black out blinds (from next day blinds). They work fairly well but are not light tight because of "edge effects" There are real leaks at the edges. This is true especially when the sun is setting and there is sunshine is on an edge.I decided not to pay for tracks because that was real bucks. Any ideas on how to easily and attractively seal off the edges?

Joel

·
Registered
133 Posts
I took a cheap solution and installed a window shade behind my Hunter Douglas Silhouette. I got the shade from Home Depot for less than $10.00. Since the Silhouette hides the shade, it looks great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same accordian blinds and they work great except for the leakage between the shade and the window frame. Does anyone know where to get some sort of track or something to black out the edges?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've got the cheap roll-up shades mounted between the wall and my vertical blinds. I got them from Home Depot, they will custom cut the lengths. Just make sure to get the heaviest plastic material they offer (which is an off white grey color), because the thinner material doesn't completely block the light out.

Those rollup blinds are not reliable enough for everyday use; they tend to get stuck and are easily damaged if they roll up past a sharp object like a window handle edge. But they work well enough for me; I only need to get the room light tight about every other month... usually I just wait until dark to use the projector.

-Tom

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I ordered a custom "cellular" (honeycomb) blind that has a light-blocking foil insert that will fit behind the existing Hunter Douglas blinds I have today. Price for a 92" W window was about $330. Not as inexpensive, but less hassle and more wife-friendly than the roll-up blinds. (Also hard to find roll-ups for such a wide window.)

I'll give an update once installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.