AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a white blackout cloth help to boost contrast levels?

Or should it be painted grey.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
white blackout cloth is better than a wall, in many ways. but as far as contrast goes, even the best is soft and muddy.

Now, remember this is very much like a discussion of car tires. All car tires work, but some better than others. And.. will you feel it is a noticeable or necessary change for you,and was the expense worth it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
So if I wanted to build my own screen, on the cheap, without painting, would it be better to buy some 1.0 gain screen material by the foot instead of using the blackout cloth? A few other threads had given me the impression that I wouldn't be able to tell a difference between blackout cloth and a standard 1.0 gain screen.

Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is also possible to paint BO once it is stretched and mounted.

This would allow for a paint like Misty evening to be used and would

improve contrast.

This is all based on what I have read on this board.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Painting is one DIY activity that I absolutely detest. I'd much rather just pay a little for good screen material and build the frame myself than attempt to paint - I absolutely suck at it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
white blackout cloth is better than a wall, in many ways. but as far as contrast goes, even the best is soft and muddy.
Tryg created a recent post which indicates that all matte white surfaces are essentially the same. And, I don't recall that you disputed this fact. I believe you made some comments regarding some of the other DIY products, but not about the basic, thread-starting statement.

The comment above makes it sound like all matte white (smooth) materials aren't created equal. I hope you would be willing to elaborate.

Thanks

gp

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Light, optics, particle density, molecular weight, opacity, etc, etc, etc.

I dunno what to say. Except tht all matt white screens are NOT created equal. But I don't jump into Tryg's thread and start to dispute the statement.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If an incorrect statement is made, it should be challenged. Do you feel the differences are so small that it's not worth challenging? Or did you hope the statement would fly by without anyone noticing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.