AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my screen with black out cloth 106", which got me really excited. The room I am placing it in does have some ambient light. I have not yet purchased my Epson 1080 p ub projector. I am curious if I am going to like the screen I have made or if i will be able to see flaws in the material.

It is stretched firmly, and with the lighter side of the cloth showing, the color appears to be more gray with the border on and the other side has a peach tint to it. If someone has pictures of a screen they also made with this cloth and a similar type of projector I would like to see some screen shots. I have approximatley 120 invested in the product, and will take some pictures and add to this section. I have also seen some people post they have painted the blackout cloth. What is the reason for painting it and does it change the picture quality for the better. Any and all opinions will help.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Typicaly good BOC is white. A white screen works well in a darkened room with dark colored walls and ceiling. The reaon someone would paint the BOC screen is usually to get a gray screen surface. The following photos will show you the difference between a matte white and a matte gray screen with and without some ambient light.

Click images to enlarge.

Another reason one might paint their BOC screen is if it has gotten dirty or stained. If they still want a white screen then just use the white paint without any tint.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the picture on the right blackout cloth, the other two pictures appear to be painted from the way the picture is. I am just curious this is all new to me. Another question I have is what is the approximate gain for a screen made from blackout cloth.

what are the pros besides price

and what are some cons

I am trying to add a link to show off the screen i made

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The two pictures are of 2'x4' sheets of hardboard with matte paint on them. On the left is white and on the right is gray.

The first photo is with some lights on in the room. This what people mean by ambient light. You can see that the ambient light illuminates the screen surface causing the white panel to washout.

The left photo is of the same two panels but with all the lights off. If you look carefully you will see that the white areas of the right side of the right image are not quite as bright as the left side of the same image. That is due to the gray but it is nowhere near the degradation the white panel suffers in the presence of ambient light.

Camera Flash Room Lighting

One of the benefits of a BOC screen is the flatness of it. If a raise edge was employed and the BOC was properly stretched and attached, the screen surface should be very flat and smooth.

The only downside I can think of off hand is there is no neutral gray BOC available.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4legs /forum/post/12895637

If your curious what images will look like on a BOC screen

Here is an image from my Panasonic AE1000 being fed from a PS3

DIY 108" BOC screen

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/IMG_1643.jpg

That's a great screen shot!

I'm just worried that ohp20011 may have been given some off white or cream colored BOC.

I have asked him to provide a photo with a white sheet of paper in it for a reference.

However he may not have enough posts yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
these are pictures of my screen all opinions and thoughts will be appriciated

dimensions are 106" 16:9 format

blackout screen

4 2x4s 10$

4 pieces of cheap molding for texture of border 25$

4 metal L brackets approx 20$

approx 100 staples 5$

approx fifty screws 5$

3 1/2 yards of blackout material and of Black Velvet 15$ and 26$

3 18" picture hanging brackets 27$

and much needed upholstry help from my wife

approximate total cost $133

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1201045391

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1201045391

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Very nice job ohp20011!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohp20011 /forum/post/12900322

is the color I used the right kind and can you tell anything about the quality

It's pretty hard to tell from the photos. Does it look white compared to some white printer paper?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohp20011 /forum/post/12901525

has a gray tint to it

I think that is normal. As long as it is not an off white like a cream color you should be good to go! Now lay down some bucks on a projector and enjoy!

·
Registered
74 Posts
nice job.

Has a very similar look.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/IMG_1647.jpg

Really when your just getting started, and for the money I don't think you can go wrong with the DIY.

(pic taken with no flash, with a flash on screen looks like it has a gain on 10,000) Screen is white but a little hard to tell from this pic, you can see some of the reflection from light on the wall on the left side.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sticks, is that an Ikea lack unit under the screen there? I am going there this weekend to pick one up. If so, is that the long one? or many short ones?

Thanks,

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyahJay /forum/post/12904508

Sticks, is that an Ikea lack unit under the screen there? I am going there this weekend to pick one up. If so, is that the long one? or many short ones?

Thanks,

Thats exactly what it is! I just took the tall one and laid it on its side, does the job perfectly. If memory serves me correctly I don't think there was a shorter option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts